• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Layer DVD Burner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

I got to get a new drive to replace my cd-rw and dvd rom...

which one of the following should I get:

1)NEC ND-3500A 16x4x / 16x4x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
2)Pioneer DVR-108 16X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
3)Sony DWD-22A 16x4x / 8x4x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer

i have a NEC 1300A 4x drive and have been very happy with it as many other NEC owners so i would get that NEC ND-3500A if u going to buy now however i heard that sony is coming out with a 16x dual layer and thats is fast as u can go with dvd

NEC 2510A is great. I burn dvds with no problems at all. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the 3500A

CordialSpam said:
if all of them are at same price or close, I would go with Sony..because Sony makes quality stuffs.

I believe the NEC drive will be the cheapest. It's at about $80 at Newegg right now. The reviews there are very positive. It seems that this is a very quiet, fast, reliable drive with the proper media (Ritek, basically). And, with this drive, you'll be ahead of the game for a while at least, because there doesn't seem to be any 4x dual layer media available that is really affordable just yet.

I think the NEC is the most wise investment.

My $.02

Odie :)

with the Ritek i got from newegg, even though its rated 4x, i can burn at 6x. Haven't had any problems doing so.

Good to know. Are they dual layer though (9.4GB capacity)? Or are they just single layer DVD-R's?

All I could find at Newegg were these, which I'm not sure are the greatest discs for everyday burning.

Odie :)

Get the NEC.

Though at the mo you don't want dual layer, it's useless as price of disks is crap.

I have the 3500, got it last week.

I currently own the Pionner 106 and eyeing the 108 for my upgrade.

The Pio has been good to me with Ritek G04 media's. Although I've also heard good stuff with the NEC, I'm sticking with Pio on my upgrade.

Back