• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Photo's of the Silencer 5 change over ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonprince

Does anyone have any photo's of changing the stock heatsink for a Silencer 5 on the GT ? I want to see what the process looks like ....

Its pretty easy taking off the stock heatsink, I think you can figure it out, did it yesterday and tried putting on a Thermaltake Extreme Giant 3 and it didn't fit. If that answers your question :).

I've done VGA Silencers on ATi cards before, I just wanted to see what the ram situation is as far as thermal tape being on the back side of the stock sink

You could always use thermal paste like I did for my RAM. It made a hellova difference... hence my 1.19ghz stable on my -PNY- 6800GT

I thought the DDR3 graphics memory was supposed to run cool, not even need heatsinks ??

Dragonprince said:
I thought the DDR3 graphics memory was supposed to run cool, not even need heatsinks ??
Not if you are OCing GC20 to 1.19ghz. Just like anything... its definatly cool on stock. But Im Ocing it by almost 190mhz man... thats enough to make a difference

But yes, it made a difference for me. On the stock cooler (with tape) my max was a respectable 1.17. Changed it to AS5 it shot to 1.18...then after a week 1.19. Now i can allllmost get 1.20 stable

Back