• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

??? P3/CII - discontinued ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dennis Baliton

Registered
I was at a local computer hardware store today and I was told that Intel has discontinued releasing P3's and Celerons in order to sell the P4's. Is this true or was the local dealer just giving me the "juke"? Anyhow, I was a little saddened by this news. I've got 3 Intel boards here waiting for their cpu match so now what.

Can anyone tell me what the real scoop is?

i am not into intel cpus...but i have read alot recently and saw somewhere that they will stop producing them.....i would guess in november some time and then get rid of there inventory ....becuase q1 2002 intel wants to be behind the p4 100% and make all newcomputers have p4 cpus compared to piii ...probly around this time celeronii will get discontuined and celeronIII the new coppermine-T which should become the new celeron sooner or later...... but they will stop making them but as far as i know they still make 900~1ghz like crazly lower i am not sure what is discontiuned yet ...

I know they have been discontinuing the P3's, last I knew they stopped at the 700's..maybe they stoped them all??

The normal p3 will be discontinued and the new intel p3-s are the tuatalin cpu at 1200Mhz/1266Mhz these are out on store now (133MhzFSB 256/512Kb cache V.core 1.475
S-code SL5GN, you will need a new mainboard to get this chip to work like a asus tusl2-c 815Ep step-A chipset Fc-Pga2)
But intel cel2 won´t be, today put the new cel2 on stores... 950Mhz 1Ghz 1.1Ghz 128Kb cache FSB @100Mhz the prices will be
950Mhz - 74$
1Ghz - 89$
1.1Ghz - 103$

Hope it helps!!!!!

I don't think they're getting rid of them just yet. I know that they have discontinued select procsessors, and are trying to discontinue a few more. The PIII 800 for example. They've been trying to get people to stop buying it, so they can discontinue it. It sells for within $2 of the 866. They do this when they want to phase out a product.

Intel has stopped producing all but the 866, 933 and the 1 gig P-III. Probably as soon as the 1.1 gig is released, they'll drop the 866. I'm guessing the P-III's will be produced at least until production of the new Northwood P-4 ramps up this winter. Then they will drop all of the coppermine core line. The Northwood P-4 and the new Tualatin P-III are both 0.13 micron cores which will be cheaper to produce than the older 0.18 micron cores. The Tualatins will become the new Celeron III at that point. Until then, I believe they are still producing Celeron 800 and 900 chips.

Back