• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One-Click and client 5.02 note.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It shouldn't matter as long as the service registry key matches the exact client name. If it doesn't then the service won't start. The -advmethod flag also has to be in the 'parameters' key to get BigPackets.

I didn't even know 5.00 would upgrade to 5.02 so I just did it myself as soon as it was available for download.

well if mine still says v 5.00 do i need to manually do it? are there any advantages to upgrading?

I don't know for sure but maybe 5.02 handles bigpacket managment better. I'd also upgrade the core as it's acturally what folds.

I don't think it matters too much one way or the other whether you let it auto update or do it yourself.

The easiest way would be to shut down the FAH service, delete the 5.00, drop in the 5.02 and rename it 5.00. I updated v3 to v4 that way awhile back. I just like to keep the registry precise and clean so I changed it to match 5.02 clients.

is there a way i can check for sure if it updated itself? does the auto update change the name to 5.02? i am running bigpackets and adv methods... im just afraid ill mess something up by doing it manually

Here's my FAH log snippet:
Code:
# Windows Console Edition #####################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 5.02

[url]http://folding.stanford.edu[/url]

Launch directory: D:\Program Files\FAH\FAH1
Executable: D:\Program Files\FAH\FAH1\FAH502-Console.exe
Arguments: -local -service -advmethods 

[15:31:20] - Ask before connecting: No
[15:31:20] - User name: audioaficionado (Team 32)

Stan03 just download 5.02 and drop it on your desktop.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/release/FAH502-Console.exe

Go into your FAH folder and right click on the 5.00 console.exe and select change name. Then just copy the name using ctrl+C.

Go back to your desktop and right click change the name on the 5.02 client, then do ctrl+V to paste the 5.00 name and change the name.

Shut down your FAH client 'Start\Run\services.msc /s'.

Drop that renamed desktop client into your FAH folder and say yes when it asks you if you want to replace the one that's there.

Now you'll be running v5.02 and the registry will be happy because it still sees the same target as before. This worked when I manually updated to v4 from v3. The FAH exe was named v3 but it acted as v4. Once I got comfortable editing my registry keys, I updated everything to what it should be a few months later.

Oh and don't forget to restart your FAH service and post back the ID snippet of your log file like I did.

Last edited:
i <3 Audioaficionado

you made it easy, thanks

Code:
# Windows Console Edition #####################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 5.02

[url]http://folding.stanford.edu[/url]

Launch directory: C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH2
Executable: C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH2\FAH500-Console.exe
Arguments: -local -service -verbosity 9 -forceasm -advmethods

Are you guys using EMIII to monitor your Folding@Home Client?

I am getting ready to install [email protected] on my Dual Xeon setup and was wondering about any new tricks I should be doing. This is my first run at a Intel machine. I tried my old 4.0 client on it when I first built it 2 weeks ago but I couldn't keep all 4 processors running. 1 or 2 would always stick or stop increasing on the % done. Thanks.

Update:

I must have been smoking crack when I wrote this thread. The registry settings will not allow the client to update, nor does Stanford push out console.exe's automatically.

In other words, I was totally wrong. :|

I'll make amends and whip up a 5.02 version of the One-Click asap.

Folding on Dual Xeon

I installed the 5.02exe Folding@Home and it is running fine but slow. 53 seconds per frame. My Mobil XP2500 is folding a frame in 12 seconds.
Do you just install this program 3 more times in different folders to get all four CPUs running at 100%?
Right now it is averaging about 26% CPU usage.
Without running EMIII I can't see how to set -advmethods. I'm not familer enough with editing the registery to do it like Wedo said. Is there another way to do it, and is it helpful on a Dual Xeon machine like the one in my Sig. Thanks.

I had tried his old one about 2 weeks ago and that was the one I was having problems with. I'll try his new 5.02 one and see if it works better. From his post above I thought he was having problems with the registry but I guess not. Thanks I'll give it a try.

Hey Wedo,
I installed your one click Quad CPU folding@home client for my Dual Xeon in my sig and it seems to be running ok, but it is running 4.0 instead of 5.02.
I had 5.02 running as a single processor from the folding at home site and now when I look in my task manager I have 3 instances of FahCore_78.exe running as User Name "System" and my one original 5.02 one running as User Name "Mike".
Do I have it all messed up? All four processors are maxed out as it should be.
How do I monitor them or see my progress? With EMIII.

shut them all down bud. go into each directory and set the config files to your name. swap out the version 4's for version 5's and rename them to the version 4 names...now the registry sees the version 5 as the 4 and you will be folding with the 5.02 versions and under your name

correct me if I am wrong here fellers!

I tried Fizzledfiend and it worked on my first folder C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH1. When I did the same thing on my
second C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH2,
third C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH3
forth C:\Program Files\FAH\FAH4
It failed to start second, third, and forth CPUs and said only one instance of Folding@Home can run at a time.

I have all CPUs running now on Folding@Home Client 4.0 and monitoring them with EMIII version 2.68 but the progress hangs on at least 1 of the CPUs before the project is finished. I'm not donating much at this rate!

When I am running the Version 4.0 and I look in EMIII it shows each CPU as a different machine id. Like 1,2,3,4

I couldn't get the 5.02 version to run to see what machine Id it was trying to use.
Thanks for trying to help me on this.

Back