• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Might be going AMD in 2-3 days...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

Ok, I put my Intel CPU/MOBO combo on ebay, as well as some other crap, in light to get a AMD setup. I was looking around on newegg and I think I have decided to go with the following...

MSI nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8N Neo Platinum" (MS-7030)

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512k L2 Cache, The Only 64-bit Windows Compatible Processor (retail - as I need a new waterblock)

Memory Im gonna swap out of my system, as well as everything else.

Is this a good choice for going to my first AMD setup. And please dont say go s939... I dont want to drop $500+ just for a CPU/MOBO Combo.

Thanks in advance!

Athlon 64 DTR 3200+ (guarunteed Clawhammer and CG stepping) - $208 @ Newegg

DFI Lanparty NF3 250 UT (best overclocking NF3 board, will require a bios flash to properly run a DTR) - $130

Thermalright SLK-948-U (the only HSF to run an AMD64 without the IHS) - $40-50

AMD motherboards often do not play nice with Geil ram. You might bode well on the NF3 250, but I would strongly suggest that you put your ram on ebay as well. Instead, look for some ram made with Micron or TCCD chips. Some good choices for you:

OCZ PC 3700 Gold Rev. 3
OCZ PC 3200 EL Rev. 2
Crucial Ballistix
OCZ PC 3500/3700 EB
Mushkin Black Level II PC 3500 v2 (Purple heatspreaders with Samsung chips)
G. Skill TCCD

These are simply suggestions for you to consider. I am only compiling a list of components that should net you a better overclock than what you have in mind.

deception``

Thats Cool to start with, but most recomend the DFINF3 250 Mobo.
As for going 939 it should only be 30-40$ more for same speed CPU and motherboard, but thats still your chioce.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the DFI board, its currently out of stock. The Intel setup is on my main rig, and I dont want to have it down for a long period of time.
As far as a heatsink goes, Im not going to buy a new heatsink as I use a watercooling setup, and I would much rather buy the new block top, or fabricate one to fit the board.

I would rather not sell my ram because I have seen the same ram on ebay go for close to half of what it retails. Remember, Im not going to drop all kinds of funds on this new setup. Ill take the chance on the memory not working before I go out and buy new stuff. Im not going to overclock it for close to a month, I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I do overclock it.

Edit -
Newegg has the s939 chip's for $300+ Which I wont do.

Back