• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get me started again! My rig is like a decade old.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So what do you think of the FX 8300 series cooler as opposed to the stealth (stock) one?
I just installed MSI Dragon Center. Apparently it has built-in OCing tools. Regular use of the desktop has CPU core @ 36C (no OCing).
DRAM for some reason is only up as 2133mhz. I didn't want to mess around with settings until I had windows already installed. Hoping to get 3200 out of this set because that's what it's advertised for.

Hoping to get 3200 out of this set because that's what it's advertised for.
Enable XMP/DOCP and you should be set. ;)

Edit: wait... did you get first gen ryzen? 1000 series? It may not be set and forget. They are finicky with memory.

Update your sig with the new hardware! :)

Do you think there would be room for a PCIe x1 riser cable under the GPU cooler? Then you could mount it vertically with a bit of light modding, if you're comfortable with that. I will also second the 1220 codec, it sounds great with my Sennheiser cans (although I'm sure there is room for improvement).

Unfortunately most of the audiophile USB DACs don't have the 3.5mm outputs or multiple channels. Are your headphones higher impedance? I don't believe the board has a dedicated headphone amp to drive higher impedance cans well.

I was also going to mention that some boards locate a PCIe slot above the GPU, but that turns out to be a non-starter because the only one I could find is an absolute potato.

Enable XMP/DOCP and you should be set. ;)

Edit: wait... did you get first gen ryzen? 1000 series? It may not be set and forget. They are finicky with memory.

Update your sig with the new hardware! :)

He got the 1600AF CPU. From Tecshspot review:

But what is this Ryzen 5 1600 AF?

Late last year a mysterious Ryzen 5 1600 refresh made it to market. Bizarrely, AMD released a really cheap version of the Ryzen 5 2600, but just called it the Ryzen 5 1600. Known as the "Ryzen 5 1600 AF" because of the box identification, it’s very different to the original Ryzen 5 1600 AE model.

Forget about the name, this is a 2nd-gen Ryzen part. Essentially it’s an R5 2600 with a slight decrease in clock speed. Apparently AMD didn’t have enough 14nm wafers available to keep producing the R5 1600, so they simply shifted it to the 12nm process and now they’re making a version of the R5 2600 that they call the R5 1600.

So, it's essentially a second generation Ryzen.

Do you think there would be room for a PCIe x1 riser cable under the GPU cooler? Then you could mount it vertically with a bit of light modding, if you're comfortable with that. I will also second the 1220 codec, it sounds great with my Sennheiser cans (although I'm sure there is room for improvement).

Unfortunately most of the audiophile USB DACs don't have the 3.5mm outputs or multiple channels. Are your headphones higher impedance? I don't believe the board has a dedicated headphone amp to drive higher impedance cans well.

I was also going to mention that some boards locate a PCIe slot above the GPU, but that turns out to be a non-starter because the only one I could find is an absolute potato.
I wonder if I do get a riser that I'll still have physical room going in a different direction. Such a bummer that I can't use my sound card.

I'm hoping to get some OC out with this stock FX cooler haha. I'm wondering if I should try the stealth cooler to compare, but still too soon for testing. Got this rig up and running finally as my daily. Still have a few more things to configure in the OS.
If you saw my list of "to do" for whenever I format windows (or get new hardware) you'd think I'm nuts, but I'm a creature of habit.

It would be interesting to check the performance difference between the stock FX cooler and the Ryzen OEM but I'm sure you will find the FX cooler, having heatpipes and more mass, will out perform the other. With either cooler you will not have much room for overclocking or so I'm guessing. I'm also guessing you'll get a lot of noise from he FX cooler under load since the fan is small and will work hard.

Last edited:
Found something else that may work. It's lower profile meaning I can install it first, then install the GPU. The clearance is minimal. Then, I can mount the sound card in the bottom-most PCI slot (on the case itself).
https://www.newegg.com/p/1W7-001G-00003

or even this:
https://www.newegg.com/en-labs-1ft-riser-cable/p/1W7-005X-00038

I'm going to look on Amazon and eBay also. Assuming using a ribbon isn't problematic, this should do it. I'll be very happy if I can do this!!

I'm going to have to try this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Timack-Extender-Extension-Gold-Plated-Connector/dp/B07PMQZ1HP/

I need it to be as low-profile as possible, so that I can still mount the card at a pci bracket.
One review says "Worked perfectly. It is quite durable, I was able to bend the end going into the port on the motherboard 90 degrees without the connector breaking or losing continuity to fit under the graphics card blocking my last PCIe port."

This is exactly my issue haha.

Last edited:
I got that PCIe extender, and holy crap...
I can't fit it by I'd say 3-4mm.
So with the extension, if you put it in any slot where the motherboard resides, the riser raises the sound card too much.

There is a tiny spot between the motherboard and the powersupply (below the mobo), so I have a little more clearance, but I'm below the last PCI slot by about 2-4mm. :(

My only option is to not have the sound card physically mounted. I ran the ribbon through a PCI slot and out the back of the case, but that kinda makes me nervous.

wrap some electrician's black tape around the ribbon for protection.

wrap some electrician's black tape around the ribbon for protection.

Not a bad idea. I may also ziptie it around the whole soundcard. I'll then have to protect the solder joints on the rear of the sound card. I'll craft something. It'll all be behind the case. I can probably even hide it somewhere. Ghetto, but it's not like I plan to move the case around.

This is about the time I regret going mATX... bad planning on my part. Never thought the GPU would allow absolutely no expansion cards. I thought at worst I'd lose one slot. In the future, if I do ever get a new GPU, I'm sure it'll be a non-issue, but this R9 fury (believe it or not) is actually still kicking butt!!! I tried out COD Warzone and I'm amazed. Running the 1600AF at stock, and GPU at stock, I'm getting great results on a 32" monitor @ 2560x1440. I even tuned up a lot of settings.

Look what I found. Two brand new Thermaltake V1 Coolers from like 2007 haha.
https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-cl-p0401/p/N82E16835106102

I was able to mount it on my old AM3 board, which means it should work on this new one also, just like the FX AM3 cooler worked.
Below is a pic of it mounted on my ASUS Xhair V AM3 board.
TT V1 cooler.jpg

I'm going to check temps of the stock FX cooler and compare. The good news about this cooler is it exhausted towards the rear exhaust fan.

P.S. No idea why my pictures are always rotated when I upload to this site. I don't have that issue elsewhere.

Unless the cooler is the clip on kind you would need to adapt the mounting mechanism to go from AM3 to AM4. The mounting holes have a different pattern.

Unless the cooler is the clip on kind you would need to adapt the mounting mechanism to go from AM3 to AM4. The mounting holes have a different pattern.

Yup, it's clip-on kind :D

With the stock FX cooler I was getting 39-40C idle, and 56C load with P95 Small FFT.
With this V1 cooler it was 32-33C idle and 48C load.

Not bad. The downside to this V1 cooler is it has a potentiometer. I'm running it max. It's not super load, but it's unacceptable for me. I'd be fine with it during load/gaming. It's a 3-pin header and a separate variable resister (knob) for fan tuning.

Man... the 4-pin design is so much more acceptable. I'm wondering if I can handcraft something. So there is a 3-pin header, and the other is just two wires with a potentiometer at the end.

I turned down the knob to a fairly quiet level and temps only went up 2C during load.

Moot point then if turning the fan down only cost you 2c. But man, you're sacrificing all the nice light show effects of the OEM cooler. Now I am just sure that breaks your heart.

Moot point then if turning the fan down only cost you 2c. But man, you're sacrificing all the nice light show effects of the OEM cooler. Now I am just sure that breaks your heart.

Wait, what... really? I wasn't even aware!
This V1 cooler the fan as a blue LED, but I didn't know the stealth cooler had a nice effect to it...
Ugh!

No, I'm wrong. It's the Prism that has the lights. Breathe easy. But if you're desperate for the glitz I have a Prism laying around I'm not using and I'll make you a good . . . Oh, wait. That's for the classies I guess.

Back