• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bumping up AGP speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordneo

Registered
owning a DFI board, and 6800gt... current agp is locked, manually set at 67...
wonder if setting to 75 would yield any increases ? would it break my pci lock ?
i know most agp cards have legroom back when there was no locks...
move me if it belongs in the amd dfi board.

be careful... i attempted to increase agp from 67 to 70 using nvidia system utility...
instant lockup, upon reboot.... via reset switch... my usb mouse was not detected MS 3.0 optical, no light !!!!
after a reflash the bios using keyboard, all is working... whew !!! ok.. no more tinkering.

raising agp speeds is dangerous and yeilds no performance increase, u are lucky u didn't fry ur video card

raising agp speed can be dangerous, but the magnitude depends entirely on what architecture of card you're using. some bus oc much better, and some benefit more from it.

my 5900xt is running at a full 99MHz agp (and 5950u speeds) 100% stable, and has been for a long time now. 3dmark03 game 2 was choppy until I moved the bus above 75. so yeah, it can make a difference... I don't know about your card because of the amount of processing power a 6800 GT has and a lack of experience with that card, I don't know how much it will help or how flexible the card is to bus oc.

you have an NF3 mobo. by default NF3 boards (like NF2) have an individually locked pci bus. you don't have to bus oc your pci to bump the agp. if no pci setting is displayed in the bios, it is probably defaulted to the standard 33. you shouldn't have to worry about agp bus oc messing up your pci hardware.

bottom line: don't be too afraid to try bus oc, but don't take it too far unless you're prepared for the possible consequences. just like any other oc.
oh, and don't be shocked if you don't see a 300 point boost in and 3dmark after moving past 75MHz.

actually increasing the agp speed does help performance.
it depends on the card and the cost of replacement.
That proggie also doesnt list Nforce3... so wrong proggie..Not safe.

using the bios 70mhz agp was fine.. just had to decrease OC's.. which negates the
agp bump...

** runs and hides with his old alpha cluster **
must remember not to take bad advice as a sign of intelligence.

thank you Icesaber for some useful information...
yes i know of the locks.

... mutters.. why do i bother... everyone thinks im a noob.....
dumb 1 star.

lordneo said:
... mutters.. why do i bother... everyone thinks im a noob.....
dumb 1 star.

Dont worry,anyone who is worth any salt around here knows that stars dont mean intelligence.
Icesaber has taught me more in a few months than I ever knew before.

lordneo said:
actually increasing the agp speed does help performance.
ok so it does help a little, but is it noticable? i was playing with the agp bus a while back and got only about 15-20 points in 3dmark03 on my fx5900

Back