• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading !! Just not sure when, and a few Qs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:shrug: I gave you advice, it's up to you to take it or not. Personally, I believe a computer is a tool, not a toy, and people should treat it as such. Not buy for "fun", but buy what you need.

What really ticked me off was this:
if i could rationalize it, i already would have bought 4 titans and a FTW board with a 3970x and water blocks all around to OC the hell out of the rig, set up a triple 2560x1600 surround display, and then post pics everywhere. i even considered the x79 extreme 11 to stripe 8 SSDs together for the bandwidth. but then i realized i didn't want to drop 13 grand on a PC.

People who build crazy overkill rigs and post pictures everywhere of it, to me, are people who just want to brag about how rich they are. There are builds that use custom cases and such, and these take lots of time and skill, and I appreciate that. But with nothing unique about it...it's just a "hey look how much money I can dump on a computer because I can" sort of thing.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your coworker, Terran. I know how the cancer fight goes - My ex of two years fought Pancreatic cancer the whole time we were together. It's not an easy thing.

But, all that aside.. I fail to see how your coworker passing away has anything to do with folding, and wanting more stuff.

I'm not knocking you for wanting more stuff - I do hold the mindset that there's a point where it's a waste of money, but.. Generally speaking, computers are a waste of money. My computer is much like a car. It is a hobby, and to me, hobbies are toys.

I applaud you for doing some of the legwork yourself, as far as research into what to buy and such - There are many here that post and want us to do ALL the work for them.

S'all I got to say.

My apologies, Knu. That wasn't my intention at all. (Though to be honest I do tend to like to brag about my truck drivimg skills quite a bit) i'm not exactly rich, either. Only reaason I ever actually save money is when I see something I drool over for more than a day. Or when I drool on my keyboard and short it out (yes, that was intended as a joke).

Heck, last night cgattin with ajay he thought I was talking myself OUT of upgrading because I was telling him how sufficient my 965 still IS, even 4 years after I bought it. I admit it. I do want to brag about havin a freakishly awesome PC. But I also want to learn more about PCs and overclocking and such. So I lurk on the OCF and a few PC news type sites every now and then to keep up with featues and such. I'm by no means an expert, but I'd like to be able to give good advice to others.

But for myself, i to tend to always spend much more than I need to due to not having a family of my own. Not a reason, just an excuse, and habit, since I don't have to support anyone else. And PC has fallen into the toy category for me, now, even though I still use it as a tool.

As for folding... it has to do with the research. Instead of donating a couple grand to susan kamen, and not knowing how they spend it on cancer research, I'd rather build a PC that can help actual research that has been explained. Using PCs to calculate protein movement and interaction at the cellular (atomic?) Level to learn how they break, and hopefully learn how to prevent them from breaking. Will one hex core make that much of a difference? I don't know. It might not even make me feel like i'm contributing to research at all...

Maybe it'll inspire me to relearn programming...

And also to be perfectly clear: thank you for your advice and answering some of my questions. I might end up not upgrading for another couple years yet. Haven't totally made my mind up yet. But from what I see in the trucking world, prices for evrything in general are about to go up again, so i'm considering buying now...

Back