• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16X Dual Layer Roundup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got mu MSI DR16-B 3 weeks ago and I'm pleased with it. I didn't try a DL media till now and this review made me curios. As soon as I get my hands on a DL disc I'll put it to work.
I just updated my firmware today because of this roundup. ;)

I purchased the NEC for my company for archiving data and I can say that it works VERY well so far...

Updating the firmware on your CD/DVD drive is very similar to upgrading the BIOS on you MB. You get a ROM file from the manufacturer, boot into clean DOS, run the update, pray! , and reboot.

The updates usually clear up read/write problems with certain media, speed up read/write speeds, correct errors in write processes, and occasionally add extra support features to your CD/DVD drive.

CD/DVD firmwares tend to be much more difficult to find on the web than MB BIOS updates. Most manufacturers hide the updates deep in the recesses of their WEB/FTP servers so if you find a good link (like Anandtech does :) ) then bookmark them in case if there are more updates or links for future use.

Enjoy!

Foxy

Hehe!Have you noticed that Anandtech is selling those drives,NEC3500A I mean?
It's on the very first page of the review.
I bet if it was any other drive in their store,it would have been the first in their round-up.Don't you think? :p

Correction ........... it doesn't appear that Anand has a retail store but actually has a Price Watch type feature on his site .

Back