• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ugh....bottleneck by CPU and/or FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omaticrail

Been playing with my shiny new 6800 and experimenting with Doom 3 settings. Also been tweaking with RivaTuner, but that's a separate topic.

It seems I will always get 36-37 FPS in Doom3 timedemo, regardless of resolution setting. I can go all the way to 1280x1024 (1600 not working at all) with "high quality" (0xAA, 8xAF), and still 36-37 FPS.

Now.....I'm running an Athlon XP1800+ at 140 FSB (5% o/c to 1610Mhz) and 1GB of RAM. I knew to expect a CPU bottleneck, but not this pronounced. Makes me wonder if I have something else going on. I mean, this is crazy.

<edit>
Forgot to mention AGP is at 4x, and sig is now slightly out of date.
I got 75% of my watercooling gear (slowly collecting). I need to get the CPU and mobo choices figured out. Waiting for clarity to strike me.
</edit>

Last edited:
Thats definatly limited by the CPU / FSB (which go hand-in-hand). If you get an A64 the number of FPS you have will atleast double, perhaps triple.

even some of the fastest processors have trouble keeping up with the newest cards, so an 1800+ is definately gonna be the bottleneck

Back