• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do R360's even exist anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackrungh

I am having the hardest time finding a guaranteed R360. Obviously the stores dont get that specific for the most part( if any do please mention them, even excaliber, the lord of the steppings, isnt in the business of specifying graphics cores), and so that obviously leads me straight to the classified's. There seems to be a steady stream of people unloading their old 9800's, but inevitably, I probe further and find all are R350.

A few weeks ago I read here in numerous places that the new versions of the 9800pro were for cost reasons just being shipped with R360 as it was inefficient for ATI to have two core manufacturing lines. All market transactions seem to contradict this, as reports of newegg and other retailer purchases consistently turn up R350 (old stock?), and the classifieds again yield naught but (expectedly so) older R350's.

I suppose my main question is.... are there any places that can either guarantee R360 for perhaps a little more on the price, or are there places people know of who have only new video card stock, stock which would more than likely contain a larger percentage of R360's. If I cant flash to XT then I dont see any reason not to just get a better card, but ive never spent more than $150 on a card before and cannot see how you guys gladly shell out $600+ for the same basic materials and R&D time constructed differently.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input. I already owe the collective much in terms of knowledge gained over these months, but I know you all live for the next thread, and heres another to answer. ;)

I just recently bought a Sapphire 9800pro, and it was an R360, I have heard a lot of success with this particular card, when looking for a 360. If it helps, I bought mine from New Egg.

www.zipzoomfly.com sells both versions of the MSI 9800 Pro, the one with the green PCB, and the one with the red PCB. The green PCB is a non-reference one - the red card is probably a better choice because of this (easier to mount aftermarket cooling).

Both versions of the MSI "RX9800" seem to *always* come with R360 cores. I haven't seen a single report of an MSI "RX9800" *not* coming with an R360 core.

In fact, all recently produced 9800 Pro video cards are coming with R360 cores - it's actually much harder to buy a brand new card with an R350 core than it is to find one with an R360 core right now :). The MSI cards however, are pretty much 100% guaranteed, and definetely your best bet.

I heard they are discontinuing the Radeon 9800PRO lines, my local small business shop said that they have discontinued manufaturing the 9800PRO. I found this out because mine fried and I needed a new card.... Another interesting thing was that they said that the 6600 was not going to AGP. (At least they said that their vendor stated that they were not going to build AGP 6600's[Vendor is eVGA] which leaves me with what other choice? Save up for a 6800NU)

lilxvietxboi said:
I heard they are discontinuing the Radeon 9800PRO lines, my local small business shop said that they have discontinued manufaturing the 9800PRO. I found this out because mine fried and I needed a new card.... Another interesting thing was that they said that the 6600 was not going to AGP. (At least they said that their vendor stated that they were not going to build AGP 6600's[Vendor is eVGA] which leaves me with what other choice? Save up for a 6800NU)
that doesnt sound right...it wouldnt really make that much sense. and btw- the 6600 is coming out in agp.

Yes I know the 6600 is coming out AGP, just don't know if eVGA is going to make it or not. Yeah, I know it doesn't sound right because everyone seems to love the 9800PRO and I think its one of the best cards ATi has right now at a good price/performance ratio.

Back