• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will more cooling help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JetMech

I have an Intel p4/Asus P4t/512rdram. Have been trying to overclock it to 2.0. Until today I haven't been able to boot at 2.0. I found a ram multiplier in the advanced section of the bios. It gives you a choice of 3x or 4x. I set it to 3x and set my fsb to 125. The system booted straight to 2.125. Burn In test failed after 5 min. Still have quite a bit of work to do be able to consider the system stable but I thought I'd share this info with you p4 guys. BTW this was done with a crappy P4 Thermaltake. What do I have here fellas.

Last edited:
I know nothing of p4s but doesnt cooling always help?

if it boots at 2g+ dont have a heart attack ;-)

GL

you may have to wait till everybody wakes up to get a solid answer. I am sure by the time morning coffee is over you will have your answer.

Yes. Cooling will help.

If it goes fine for 5 minutes, then dies, it is (probably) running too hot. Have you any temperature sensors set up? What temp is the CPU at? If it's over 50C, then you've a problem. Should be at around 40/44C-ish (or lower!)

Tell me more!........

reddeathdrinker said:
Yes. Cooling will help.

If it goes fine for 5 minutes, then dies, it is (probably) running too hot. Have you any temperature sensors set up? What temp is the CPU at? If it's over 50C, then you've a problem. Should be at around 40/44C-ish (or lower!)

Tell me more!........
P4s are unique in that they do not just lock up and bluescreen the way the latter pc's do. It throttles on and off until finally it wiill lock. I was monitoring the Asus probe while this was happening and the temp stayed constant around 134F. Even when I bought the fsb down to 118 the temp stayed at 134 and it did not throttle. P4s are not logical and will have you buying and trying everything in the book and still show the same results.

Back