• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Softmod for MSI 9800pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rseven

I did a search on this but couldn't come up with an answer. I have an MSI RX9800PRO TD128. See pic here: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RX9800PRO-TD128&class=vga
It has Hynix RAM and an R360 core. I have read to use a bios from the same manufacturer, but I can't as to my knowledge MSI does not make a 9800XT. So, what do I do? Or can it be done at all.? I do have good cooling and ram sinks. I've even modded the arctic cooler with a ducting exhaust fan at the rear. So, I think the card can handle it if I can find the right bios. Thanks.

OMG, I HATE THAT CARD!!!!

My dad had 2 that were defective and my brother's friend got one that was defective too.

Anyway, on all 3 the stock bios was a 9800XT bios. The cards showed up as 9800XT everywhere in windows. The only way you could tell it wasn't an XT was by reading the box or the sticker on the card itself. Since the bios already is a 9800XT bios, there is nothing or any reason reason to flash it.

In the ATi section there is a whole sticky dedicated to the whole BIOS flashing a 9800 to XT. All you need to do is download the appriote BIOS program which I belive is ATi Flash or something along those lines...its been awhile since I flashed mine :D

If you google

" 9800XT BIOS "

You will find a whole slew of them. They should be sorted by brand and what memory they use etc.

_______

Never flashed a hynix before. Most of the guys who flash used Samsung and flashed to the Gecube BIOS.

Quailane said:
The cards showed up as 9800XT everywhere in windows. The only way you could tell it wasn't an XT was by reading the box or the sticker on the card itself. Since the bios already is a 9800XT bios, there is nothing or any reason reason to flash it.
Yes, mine shows up as an xt, but there is no temp reading. None shows up in Riva tuner or the ATItool either. And yes, it's not a great card and if I had it to do over again, I'd make a better choice. Then again, I could say the same thing about my first marriage:)
Sentinal- I saw the sticky but I don't know what non MSI bios I should use. Obviously one that is for a card with Hynix RAM, but is there anything else I should know?

Back