• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelts without waterblocks???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intraveinous

K, so I know it's impossible to do this with an AMD chip, but what are the wattages of heat from P4 chips? Are they low enough that I could use like a 72 Watt Pelt and my MC462 and be ok?
I know water would be much better, but I've still got reservations about putting water in my computer. Once I build a new system, I'll prolly start toying with watercooling on my old one.
Anyway, I'm just so tired of all the heat that AMD Processors make, and I've been thinking about going P4 once the i845 DDR comes out.
Lemme know what you think.
John

for a P4 a 52 watt pelt should be fine.....and you can definately cool that with air....as long as its not an intel hs or an orb

scratch that...with the mc462 a 72 watt pelt will be perfect.....in fact youll probly be cooling the pelt more than the cpu....i dunno....arent those over kill for p4...oh well.....

AmbientFiction said:
The P4 sucks there is not a bit of compiler code in an OS or game that will support it. Go get a new P3 1.3 with 512k on die cache it will clock that P4 hands down

Ok what does this have to do with his question? delet ur post you have been here way to long to pull what you have just done. Thats just plain petty.

And since I have just bought a new pelt I could consider this for when I ever get to buying a p4 board.

XP is already heavily optimized for both the Athlon and the P4. And I don't get the chance to upgrade once a month like some people, so if it's finally being fully supported in a year, then that's OK with me. Hell, I'm still running on a 750 Duron right now. Anyway... I'd love to get a Tualatin P3, but they're more expensive than the P4s already. If those drop in the next 6 months, (The timeframe I plan on doing this, as I said, waiting for i845DDR) and I can find a decent chipset for them, then maybe I'll do that. The question however was if I could pelt an intel CPU and still run air rather than water cooling, so thanks to the people who answered that.
Peace
John

AmbientFiction said:
The P4 sucks there is not a bit of compiler code in an OS or game that will support it. Go get a new P3 1.3 with 512k on die cache it will clock that P4 hands down

I have to agree that was a low blow. He wanted info about the p4 so we should be fair and help him out.

The curent p4 chips have not performed splended but I have high hopes for the northwood core which is also .13 micron and it too boasts a 512k cache.

I'm not a big fan of the P4, but I'd go with a P4. I want a tualatin, but until they drop there $300 price tag I won't be seeing one. So basically a P4+board is cheaper than just a tualatin alone.

I'm going to get a new CPU soon and to recycle my peltier I have now would be great. To bad I don't know the wattage. It's probally 52, but I'm not sure.

ive heard some of the p4's run hot if so air cooling is out of the question, different CPU's even the same make and size will run at differnt temps, if your running at or around 35C [full load] with your air set up rite now then you may get away with a 72W pelt as long as you have a really good external power supply, but if your a little hotter then 35C you may end up with temps lower at idle then now but hotter at full load.

i'm not complaining but if you posted this in the cooling section you may get better answers.

outhouse said:
ive heard some of the p4's run hot if so air cooling is out of the question, different CPU's even the same make and size will run at differnt temps, if your running at or around 35C [full load] with your air set up rite now then you may get away with a 72W pelt as long as you have a really good external power supply, but if your a little hotter then 35C you may end up with temps lower at idle then now but hotter at full load.

i'm not complaining but if you posted this in the cooling section you may get better answers.

go to this thread and look there

Thanks for the link but i'm aware of the p4's clock throttling for themal protection but this has nothing to do with heat output of the CPU that's at full load and that is what is important, i still stand behind what i said in my original reply unless i missed something.

You are the first person I have ever heard to say p4s run hot. Especially after all of the AMD jokes taht abound the web on their 'space heater' characteristics.

Please give me some info on how bad a p4 is.

And I am not flaming you.... more just intrigued

A good ballpark number for P4 heat is 60 watts. Use that for a medium number and I don't see how you can go wrong. I think a 72 watt peltier is a little too close to the edge. I'd go 1 or 2 steps higher. I notice with my 1.7 you get a serious reaction to ambient temp. I am folding right now while typing this and Asus probe says my Cpu temp is 60c/141f. Thats with a p4 orb and an ambient temp of 78f. It seems to throttle when the AC cycles off. I can see this in the changes in frame and completion times in the Electron microscope. I have never had a blue screen or lockup running like this. BTW I am overclocked to 2.0 with voltage at 1.85. Hope all that info gives you an idea of what type of heat this thing puts out.

stompah said:
You are the first person I have ever heard to say p4s run hot. Especially after all of the AMD jokes taht abound the web on their 'space heater' characteristics.

Please give me some info on how bad a p4 is.

And I am not flaming you.... more just intrigued

:) as i said i just heard, but honestly there have been a few post that said there p4's where running hotter then normal thats why i used the word [some] not all and if the person interested in pelts has one that runs hot then this will apply to his question. all in all my reply was pretty close like i said if he has a cool running chip he may get away with it. I would still not compare A p4's heat output with anything AMD.

Back