• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plss...Help...Radeon 9800 SE cooling broblems....i think...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SebyTheDragon

Hi there....
I've just bought a Radeon 9800SE 128MB/256 bit from Xpert Vision(Daytona....actualy.. )...
Got some problems whit it while running Doom 3!
The softmoding didn't work....With 8 pipilines ive got artifacts ....big oanes...even in windows....
Ok....now im back to the oficial drivers from ati...every thing went well....exept ...the folowing..
After playing abou 10-15 min of doom 3 with high detail i start getting frames...or interuptions...They increese whit time...after 30 min...i get smth like 0.1 sec interuptions....
My computer teoreticaly can very well play doom 3 with high detail(not very high).Ive got a Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1833MHZ real frequency(a XP 2200+ if u want it ) plus 768 RAM 400mhz!
The procesor runs very well.It never exeds 45 degrees. I think my problem is with the cooling system on the video card...What do u think?? If so....what choices do i have??
I've heard thet the video card can be very well tunned by OC whithout moding if u change the cooling system!
If i'm about to change the cooling system....tell me a cheap one....becose im running low on cash...

Ok...I like that cooler...
But i dont think i can find it in my country(i'm from Romania)..If its 30$ there it would be around 40 $ here...
I was thinking about using a normal athlon XT Cooler on the GPU....but i dont know how to mount it ....and i dont know if the memories need fans to....
The curent fan covers only the memories on one side of the board.
So any links on how to unmount the curent coolling system and mount the XP Cooler would be of much help.

The current cooler is held on by 2 pins that go through the card. Get some tweezers or needle-nose pliers, and pinch the little V ends of them into an I, then push them through the card. Thats the easy part. If you wan't to put a cpu cooler onto it, you will need to get out your drill and possibly your dremel(if the heatsink is too large and caps are in the way) and drill 2 holes in the heatsink exactly lining up with those on the card. Then, you need to find 2 very very thin threaded rods, and some rubber washers. When you bolt the heatsink down, I suggest using springs to prevent you from crushing the core.

That said, if you have never done any modding like this before, I suggest buying an aftermarket cooler, it saves you a lot of hassle. What ones are available in your area?

EDIT: The ram does not need cooling.

ok....to complicated for a newbie ....I might destroy the board...
Now i was thinking about removing the heatsink and put it back ...this way i'll be sure that the contact betwen the it and the gpu is perfect...
Second...i was thinking about buyin a small case fan and mount it over the fan..
I dont know if i can remove the original fan but i'll try...What hapens if somehow i manage to put the case fan over the other one??...
Good or bad idea???? :( :burn:

About moding sistems ...there are quite a few here to ...i might be able to find even that cooler if i visit more shops here....but...i don't wanna spend another 30-40$ ...

PS The part with the memories ...is a relief.. :clap: !!!

Last edited:
The best thing to do would probably be to buy a 92mm or 120mm case fan, and set it at the bottom of your case. The blow air out at an angle and that would cool your card off plenty.

Thanks for the welcome!! :beer:
Good idea whit the fan.....First things frst got to unmount the heatsink... If i use ordinary Atthlon xp termal grees would there be any problems? My gues is not...
Hope it works!!!! :thup:

Another thing...if anyone knows any video stress programs and a gpu temperature monitoring tool pls lemme know!!

Thanks a lot guys!! :D

By replacing the stock thermal interface material with arctic silver 5, I could overclock my 9800SE with 256-bit 2.2ns mem to 435Mhz. With stock cooling I could only do 380.

If you are careful, any thermal paste will work. It might not be worth changing it if all you have is cheap generic paste though. I suggest getting some MX-1, AS5 or Ceramique, in descending order. The problem with AS5 is that if you aren't careful and get some on a resistor or something, it can short it out.

Removing the heatsink on an ATI card is not hard.I've seen 2 types of pins in the card...one that has a thin pin which can be pulled out very easily with tweezers,and the other was alot more difficult to remove.The best way for me to describe the second one is to say that the thin pin is actually like a nail---where the head of the nail is just as wide as the rest of the holder.Hopefully you have the thin pin that can just be pulled out,because I had alot of problems removing the second version I recieved.Installing an Arctic Cooler is very easy,too.They send detailed instruction with color photos for each step.It might take 10 minutes,at the most to install it.It was my first aftermarket heatsink installation on a video card,too---and it was very simple.The most difficult part about it was removing the origional pins.Technically,if you dont intend to put the origional heatsink back on,you dont even have to worry about damamging the origional pins.

Yuriman said:
The problem with AS5 is that if you aren't careful and get some on a resistor or something, it can short it out.
You would have to be drunk or want to mess up to do that. I have done it about 6 or 7 times and never once came close. I am not even sure it will conduct electricity that well anyway.

Back