• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First ground up build cooling help please ....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trushot

Registered
I have lurked in this and forums like it for a few years ... and have finally just received my order from newegg and will be putting my system together this week ...

I want to eventually watercool for what i perceive would be even quieter operation but figure i better build an air cooled rig first since its my first build then modify it to watercooling later if i need.

This may be long but I want to lay out what my goals are and receive some help in accomplishing them...

Goals: HIGH END DEAD QUIET GAMING RIG and bought highest end parts i could find ( i bought the case in 2008 but never ordered any othe rparts ) so i could get away without overclocker and pick up as much silence as possible... and have a preference for as many blue led fans as i can use if not all slots

Parts:

CPU: i7 980x Extreme Edition

CPU cooler: V8 cooler master

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

RAM: DDR3 1600 mghz Crucial Balistix blue led Tracers 12 GB 6x2

GPU: PowerColor AX6970 2GBD5

SSD: OCZ IBIS 240GB HSDL (High Sp Data Link)

PSU: KINGWIN LZG GOLD 1000W

CHASIS: Silverstone TJ09

All my parts are in from newegg and I am ready to begin build with one exception: Fans and Fan control except the rear and midsection stock fan that came with case ...

here is a picture of the case I own not mine just a stock pic ...
11-163-073-10.jpg

here are the fan specs for my case:

Front 1 x 120mm fan slot between HDD cages
Rear 1 x 120mm exhaust fan, 1200rpm, 21dBA
Side 1 x 120mm mid-section fan, 1200rpm, 21dBA ( which pulls in ambient air from the sides of the system with two hot rod scoop like entry points
Top 2 x 120mm fan slots

SO qustions i have:

1.) will 5x of these in my 5 slots create enough air flow without overclocking to cool everything?

YATE LOON blue LEDS ( there are three models though ... seems to be a high medium and low speed but not sure? if that is the case can i get away with lowest quietest ? and keep everything cool without overclocking? )

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...Fan_-_UV_Blue_D12SM-124UB.html?tl=g36c331s518

fan-345.jpg

2.) might I also place one of these fans in the coolermaster V8 CPU cooler to get rid of the red one that is in it now?

3.) i realize even if i can do all of the above that the VGA card fan is still going to be loud at load ... on this new 6970 i bought is there a quieter non stock air cooling mod i can do like some sort of big air cooler with quieter fan ... those things being shoved in those cases with those small fans do not seem very efficient for cooling ...

if there is not do they make a system like an h50 for Video cards instead of CPU's becuase i do not think my cpu will be the problem in seeking silence as much as possible ... i think the kink will be the VGA card even if you guys think i can do the rest of the above..

4.) what sort of fan control if any would you recommend... i was leaning towards this one just becuase it goes with them of case

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...troller_-_Silver_RHK-EX-SV.html?tl=g47c17s239

bus-124.jpg

Well i know it was long but i really thank anyone who can give me some thoughts on building this rig the way i envision it ...

once i have my fan decisions made ill post a build log for you guys to watch i newbie go at it heh ... i did paint my case a really nice clearcoat finished racing blue mustang color ... ill show some pics in a log before i get started

then ill post a pic at some point when my new monitors come in of my MMO multiboxing setup :p

:comp: should like that that ... :rock: as long as my terrible computing skills dont keep me down like this :fight:and building the rig doesnt make me feel like :bang head :D

thanks again
ryan

Last edited:
1.) will 5x of these in my 5 slots create enough air flow without overclocking to cool everything?

yea, they should. You're correct that there are 3 different models at 3 different speeds. You should also be aware that (budget permitting) there are better options for fans out there.

2.) might I also place one of these fans in the coolermaster V8 CPU cooler to get rid of the red one that is in it now?

Yea, that thing should be able to have the fan replaced...not sure if the lights are on the fan having never held it.

3.) i realize even if i can do all of the above that the VGA card fan is still going to be loud at load ... on this new 6970 i bought is there a quieter non stock air cooling mod i can do like some sort of big air cooler with quieter fan ... those things being shoved in those cases with those small fans do not seem very efficient for cooling ...

if there is not do they make a system like an h50 for Video cards instead of CPU's becuase i do not think my cpu will be the problem in seeking silence as much as possible ... i think the kink will be the VGA card even if you guys think i can do the rest of the above..

You could look at some of the prolimatech or thermalright aftermarket air cooling options...coolit does make some vga cooling thingie, but the sample that OCF recieved actually killed the card that dex tried to mount it on...so I think I'd avoid it.

You really should consider overclocking, you spent a buncha money on that processor primarily to get an unlocked multiplier, so just crank it up there and take the free(sic) speed.

yea, they should. You're correct that there are 3 different models at 3 different speeds. You should also be aware that (budget permitting) there are better options for fans out there.

The reason i was considering these is becuase i had read they are quiet and dependable .. i am open to suggestions .. i just want to accomplish two things if possible ... blue led fans and quiet ... and i am fortunate in the budget department so i am open to any price range that gets job done the best and still remain quiet as possible ... of the three speeds which should you choose when looking for balance between noise and not overheating my system

Yea, that thing should be able to have the fan replaced...not sure if the lights are on the fan having never held it.

The one and only video i found on net about it was a guy replacing the red leds with 4 red blinking leds but i could not tell if they were on fan or not
... i am hoping to just be able to replace fan if not i will try to replace with blue ones from raido shack and a solder iron like he did on video

You could look at some of the prolimatech or thermalright aftermarket air cooling options...coolit does make some vga cooling thingie, but the sample that OCF recieved actually killed the card that dex tried to mount it on...so I think I'd avoid it.

You really should consider overclocking, you spent a buncha money on that processor primarily to get an unlocked multiplier, so just crank it up there and take the free(sic) speed.

will the first two make the system quieter or do you feel it is worth it on air cooling ?

once i get it built and more comfortable i can see me wanting to tinker and add a single loop just for video whenever ek comes out with a block for 6970 if you think i should just wait for more quiet operation .. i just dont know how quiet water cooling is since you have to have fans on the radiator and ive never seen one in real life ... heh i really jsut want to water cool whole thing but i may have to put it off several months until i get this built and feel comfortible with my building skills ... i think ill get a huge boost of confidence if i get all the parts in and everything works heh

i do not mind over clocking and would like to tinker with it as long as i can keep it quiet on air for time being

i just assumed that overclocking meant loud fan noise which is prolly a misunderstanding on my part

In my, and many others', opinion scythe gentle typhoons are the best 120*25mm fans that are made for a balance of performance and noise....they don't come in colors, but they are the quiet watercooler's preferred fan...so you'd sorta be getting a jump start on watercooling. IMO you should get the 1850rpm ones and put them on a fan controller so you have the headroom should you need it.

Watercooling is quieter. 2 sound sources that are the same dba put next to each other adds 2-3 dba to the total noise level. When you're dealing with near silence, you really don't have very much noise...it's to do with sound properties if you're wanting to read more about the science behind it...so yea, watercooling can be quieter and cooler than air.

Hey... :welcome:

The only parts I see that may be an issue:

CPU Cooler: The V8 is a decent cooler, but the 980x is a beast at putting out heat. You may be OK if you're not going to overclock it, but a top line HSF like the Noctua NH-D14 or the TRUE Copper are in order for such a CPU.

PSU: This is probably the one component where you should never go for the "cheap" option. For $10 more; you can have this one Corsair HX1000W. I realize you've already bought the Kingwin, but I would seriously contact newegg support and try to return that one and get the Corsair. The last thing you want to do is have your $1000 CPU go up in a cloud of blue smoke because of a cheap PSU.

On your questions:

1. 5 of the Yate Loons would be more than enough to create the necessary airflow in your case. If I were you I would get the high speed fans and run them through a fan controller that way you can have them running at slow speeds for normal "quiet" use and, if needed, ramp them up for heavy use.

2. I have no experience with the V8, but it should not be too hard to take the red fan out and put in a blue one. I would suggest getting the same fan model that comes with the V8, but in blue to make sure that it will fit without any issues.

3. There are after-market cooling solutions for GPUs, both air and water; the issue is that since the 6970s are so new to the market that there may not be any products available for them yet.
The H50/H70 equivalent for the GPU area would be the Coolit Omni A.L.C. One issue with that one is that it may not be compatible with the newer cards like the 6970. The site lists only 5870 and 5970 as the ATI compatible models for it.

One thing you may want to do before buying a separate cooling solution is to set up the fan speed profile for the stock cooler so that it is at somewhere around 20% to 30% at low use and then it goes up with high loads. You can do this with software like MSI Afterburner.

Hope this helps
Sebastian

Definitely; and probably give you enough airflow to overclock some as well if you decide to go that route.

I also agree with m0r7if3r and would recommend better fans. Yates are great for the money, but there are much better options. How important is the LED factor to you?

The fan is replacable. Check this post at CoolerMaster's forum describing how to do it. Any 120x25mm fan should work. I'm pretty sure the LEDs would be in the fan. It wouldn't make sense production-wise to put them in the cooler itself.

If it fits on your card (compatibility list hasn't been updated), you could check out the Arctic Cooling Accelero as a replacement cooler. It says it's quiet, but you may want to search for some reviews to make sure that's the case. It should fit the 6970, but I'd check with Arctic Cooling before jumping. There are other options, but this one does a good job of cooling the whole card as well as the GPU.

You might also consider one of these kits for your memory/VRM's if you go for aftermarket cooling.

Let me also share a couple links with you:

Sidewinder Computers
Petra's Tech Shop
Jab-Tech
Performance-PCs

Sidewinder, Petra's & Jab-Tech are the best for prices on cooling equipment. Performance-PCs comes in behind them. Frozen is good for finding things you can't find elsewhere, but for general stuff that others have, it is almost always the most expensive.

EDIT - While I was taking my sweet time, it seems some other posts have made their way in. For what it's worth, I completely agree with this:

CPU Cooler: The V8 is a decent cooler, but the 980x is a beast at putting out heat. You may be OK if you're not going to overclock it, but a top line HSF like the Noctua NH-D14 or the TRUE Copper are in order for such a CPU.

PSU: This is probably the one component where you should never go for the "cheap" option. For $10 more; you can have this one Corsair HX1000W. I realize you've already bought the Kingwin, but I would seriously contact newegg support and try to return that one and get the Corsair. The last thing you want to do is have your $1000 CPU go up in a cloud of blue smoke because of a cheap PSU.

I agree with xxsebasxx as well.. your system is pretty top notch, i'd hate to spoil it with a cooler that will likely fail at keeping your system cool.. it looks better than the noctua/true, but it really doesn't keep the heat off well enough if you plan to overclock at all.

with the TRUE copper you could put on 2x blue LED fans if you still wanted the blue color.. though not sure theres a good alternative for the center fan on the noctua.. their fans are pretty top notch, just ugly

Hey... :welcome:

well im going for looks and theme as much as i am performance ... and to me those are just clunky looking and do not fit the theme of the 1960's 1970's muscle car ill be going for in this build with the window to the componets giving the feeling of peering into a big block of the era and the v8 just fits this purpose well

the last thing i want to do is derail my own thread but i beleive i bought i a really good PSU even though kingwin is not a well know PSU maker ... it also seemed the best choice on the market today that included a blue led fan in a psu

here is a snipet of a review from hardocp and a link and there are many other reputable reviews giving the one i chose high marks for quality and power i chose to link this one becuase hardocp thinks this unit is better than the one you said i should go with and that most people would say you should pick the one you chose out of habit

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/06/23/kingwin_lazer_gold_1000w_power_supply_review/1

.....Paul's Thoughts:

The Kingwin LZG-1000 is the first 1000W+ 80Plus Gold power supply we have seen, and really the first new 1000W power supply design we have seen, in a while. Previously, we have seen two units from Kingwin in the 1000W+ category and both were good units. Today's LZG-1000 is another very good unit with the added bonus of being 80Plus Gold rated, which is of real use when we get to these higher powered units as they produce a lot more heat and waste more energy in the AC to DC conversion than lower powered units. When looking at the currently available 1000W power supplies on the market we really see very few units that can be said to even beat the Kingwin LZG-1000 in any really substantial way. In fact, the 1000W market at the moment is pretty thin and the Kingwin LZG-1000 is ripe to take some market share as this unit really does perform very well when it comes to efficiency and voltage regulation. The DC output quality is not that great but it is easily as good or better than most of the CWT PUC based power supplies on the market including the Corsair HX1000W which has been somewhat of a "go to" recommendation for many people. Other than that non-issue issue, this unit represents a serious value for users looking for their next 1000W power supply.

The Bottom Line

The Kingwin LZG-1000 represents a very nice evolutionary step in the Kingwin Lazer line of power supplies easily surpassing its previous offerings in many regards. The voltage regulation is once more very good and the unit posts the best efficiency we have seen from a 1000W+ unit to date. On top of that the LZG-1000 is once more exceptionally quiet and generally very well built. The downside? Well the DC Output Quality and Transient Response are similar to what we have been seeing from CWT PUC based power supplies, but both results were in specification and neither of those issues has kept CWT PUC based units such as the Corsair HX1000W from being some of the most widely used and popular 1000W units on the market. When you toss in the fact that this unit is available for the same price, or less, as those units you find that the LZG-1000 is not only an outstanding high end power supply but also a real value offering. When those two items collide you know you have an award winning product on your hands.

As of publication of this review, the Kingwin LZG-1000 is priced at $229.99 with $5.99 shipping. The Corsair HX1000 is priced at $229.99 with a $30 MIR and FREE shipping. Over the long run, you will likely make up the cash in efficiency if you buy the Kingwin now, but surely there are a bunch of us that want to have cash-in-hand today.

On your questions:

1. 5 of the Yate Loons would be more than enough to create the necessary airflow in your case. If I were you I would get the high speed fans and run them through a fan controller that way you can have them running at slow speeds for normal "quiet" use and, if needed, ramp them up for heavy use.

is the fan controler i chose up top a decent 6 channel one again i like the silver and blue of it goes with theme of case and seemed liek decent quality but im not familar with using controlers

3. There are after-market cooling solutions for GPUs, both air and water; the issue is that since the 6970s are so new to the market that there may not be any products available for them yet.

yeah i dont think ill be ready for water cooling til may - august anyway im sure water blocks will be rolled out by then ... i have many tweaks im sure ill be doing to what i have now nothing to do with componets so much as looks of case artisic / theme wise

One thing you may want to do before buying a separate cooling solution is to set up the fan speed profile for the stock cooler so that it is at somewhere around 20% to 30% at low use and then it goes up with high loads. You can do this with software like MSI Afterburner.

thanks ill research this

Hope this helps

thanks for reply
Sebastian

thanks so much for posting and links and ideas hokiealumnus

EDIT - While I was taking my sweet time, it seems some other posts have made their way in. For what it's worth, I completely agree with this:

heh now im worried a didnt get what i thought i was getting in a PSU...

can you read this review from hardocp? it is saying the corsair HX 1000 is a popular choice and well reviewed and recommended but that this kingwin is just better ... it directly compared the kingwin i bought to the corsair hx1000 in the conclusion and kingwin came out on top ... but i do not know enough about all the techinical language to really dig into results ...

the reason i linked this review is becuase of the direct comparison to the model suggested but there were numerous reviews on this particular gold 80psu that said it was really a sweet psu from a company not many had heard of but should be hearing from ... toms and other places ... the main reason i would like ot keep this psu is becuase it got so many great reviews form techincial sites under load and it has a cool blue led feature built in as well :p

anyway here is the link

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/06/23/kingwin_lazer_gold_1000w_power_supply_review/1

snipit from conclusion of review but its about a 7 page review

it seems they did something with this new 80 gold model that had not been done before in a psu

snipit form conclusion ...

"Paul's Thoughts:

The Kingwin LZG-1000 is the first 1000W+ 80Plus Gold power supply we have seen, and really the first new 1000W power supply design we have seen, in a while. Previously, we have seen two units from Kingwin in the 1000W+ category and both were good units. Today's LZG-1000 is another very good unit with the added bonus of being 80Plus Gold rated, which is of real use when we get to these higher powered units as they produce a lot more heat and waste more energy in the AC to DC conversion than lower powered units. When looking at the currently available 1000W power supplies on the market we really see very few units that can be said to even beat the Kingwin LZG-1000 in any really substantial way. In fact, the 1000W market at the moment is pretty thin and the Kingwin LZG-1000 is ripe to take some market share as this unit really does perform very well when it comes to efficiency and voltage regulation. The DC output quality is not that great but it is easily as good or better than most of the CWT PUC based power supplies on the market including the Corsair HX1000W which has been somewhat of a "go to" recommendation for many people. Other than that non-issue issue, this unit represents a serious value for users looking for their next 1000W power supply.

The Bottom Line

The Kingwin LZG-1000 represents a very nice evolutionary step in the Kingwin Lazer line of power supplies easily surpassing its previous offerings in many regards. The voltage regulation is once more very good and the unit posts the best efficiency we have seen from a 1000W+ unit to date. On top of that the LZG-1000 is once more exceptionally quiet and generally very well built. The downside? Well the DC Output Quality and Transient Response are similar to what we have been seeing from CWT PUC based power supplies, but both results were in specification and neither of those issues has kept CWT PUC based units such as the Corsair HX1000W from being some of the most widely used and popular 1000W units on the market. When you toss in the fact that this unit is available for the same price, or less, as those units you find that the LZG-1000 is not only an outstanding high end power supply but also a real value offering. When those two items collide you know you have an award winning product on your hands.

As of publication of this review, the Kingwin LZG-1000 is priced at $229.99 with $5.99 shipping. The Corsair HX1000 is priced at $229.99 with a $30 MIR and FREE shipping. Over the long run, you will likely make up the cash in efficiency if you buy the Kingwin now, but surely there are a bunch of us that want to have cash-in-hand today."

Yea, I like kingwin's psus. They do quite well and are durable from what i've seen, even though some of the designs are a bit old (as are corsair's fwiw...)

I agree with xxsebasxx as well.. your system is pretty top notch, i'd hate to spoil it with a cooler that will likely fail at keeping your system cool.. it looks better than the noctua/true, but it really doesn't keep the heat off well enough if you plan to overclock at all.

with the TRUE copper you could put on 2x blue LED fans if you still wanted the blue color.. though not sure theres a good alternative for the center fan on the noctua.. their fans are pretty top notch, just ugly

well i guess i could always get this built with the coolermaster V8 take a bunch of pictures so it looks like i envision it ... then just buy me an 800D case come march or so and take all these componets and move to 800D with one of the "ugly" coolers heh or better yet jsut water cool at that time ... then i could just put my old system in the racing blue silverstone with coops add the v8 and still have the cool looking pc but also have a a really well cooled overclock high end system in the 800d chassis

if i were buying a case today i would have bought the 800d anyway it seems really nice but i had bought this TJ09 two years ago and planned on building htis system with a ford racing them painted in racing blue with the feel of a hotrod muscle car ... i already painted and modded the case two years ago and had fun .. i have pics ill put up sometime but never followed through on ordering PC parts heh ... well now i have my parts :)

so maybe i should just put my current system in the blue racing themed tj09
and put these new parts in an 800d and just water cool the high end parts come march or so after i feel comfortable with my building skills

I am a car dealer and could jsut bring the ford mustang themed blue tj09 to work for my office would be a cool conversation piece

then i could have my new parts nice and cool in a water cooled setup at home for gaming and video editing

thoughts?

I say go with whatever suits you most. If you have showroom floor computers, the blue one might make a nice talking piece as you said...I'd certainly buy a car from you :D

@ Trueshot..
If you're happy with the Kingwin; stay with it. I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to Corsair and that's why I recommend them.

On the HSF... If you're going for a look rather than performance and don't plan on pushing that 980x hard; I would say the V8 will do just fine.

PS: Damn... that was a whole lot of replies you got on a 10 minute span.
PS2: When you're done with the "show" computer feel free to send it my way... I'll put one of them ugly HSF on it and push it until it bleeds.

:drool:

Definitely; and probably give you enough airflow to overclock some as well if you decide to go that route.

I also agree with m0r7if3r and would recommend better fans. Yates are great for the money, but there are much better options. How important is the LED factor to you?

i think ive decided to continue with the build but also order me a 800d case and transfer my high end componets over to the 800d in 60-90 days and use top notch water cooling when i feel more comfortable with my build skills ... im sure i need to cool everything well considering i want to run 6 instance of one mmo at the same time on one pc with three 2560 x 1200 monitors and multibox ... that way i can really get into overclocking which really interests me but ive never done it so its intimidating to me atm

but with this tj09 case im going to stick in my old system and use the v8 cooler, kingwin PSU and blue fans ... to continue with Ford hotrod for theme and place this one at the dealership when finished ... so with that said

does it matter which of the three fan speeds i choose from yate loon in blue led slow medium or fast?

the current system going in this tj09 case when i swtich over is a 930 chip based system with a 260 nvidia card and will not overclock it ... i am just goiing for the look on this case to put in dealership ...

i would like to order these fans today but not sure which to get slow medium or fast ... i assume medium or fast

ill do a build log containing both systems and my move into the 800D early next year .... i have a 5 or 6 pics of the tj09 taken apart and painted and put back together ... i can start with... then start with the unboxing of all my componets and proceed ....should be epic fun chaos since ive never built a pc before heh :comp::bang head

Last edited:
The only thing I would add to the great advice you've gotten so far is that when using a high speed fan on a fan controller it needs to be rated for the fans output power. The controller you posted does 30W per channel which is way more that the Yate Loon High speed (D12SH-124UB) needs 12 Volts x 0.30 Amps = 3.6 Watts so you'd have that covered. You could run some very power full fans with that controller! It says the range is 4V to 12V which should let you run high speed fans at a fairly quiet 4V. I need to find a spec sheet on that fan to see what voltage it takes to start spinning. Let me do some searching.

And pics would rock! :rock:

EDIT: So far I haven't been able to fund a start up voltage but I did read that they can make noise if very undervolted/slowed. As an example, my Panaflo 120x38 H and M fans kind of growl at lower speeds. There is a minimum speed where the growl goes away.

BTW I'm really digging the idea of a Ford racing blue case!

Last edited:
I went and checked out Oklahoma Wolf's review @ Jonnyguru (bookmark that site for PSU reviews; he's the best) and the Kingwin wasn't as bad as I thought, so that's good. You should be ok in that regard.

I understand your desire for a theme with cooling and that's as valid as wanting absolute performance despite looks (though the TRUE Copper is unparalleled in its shiny copperniness (no, that's not a word)).

According to EarthDog, who is very familiar with the 800D, it is is a superb case for internal water cooling but it's not the greatest for air cooling. I'd make the decision whether you want to go the liquid route before you jump on it.

Re: Fan controller - the Sunbeam you have above is a great controller; its only drawback is that it is BRIGHT...really, really bright. Aside from that it functions excellently.

I understand your desire for a theme with cooling and that's as valid as wanting absolute performance despite looks (though the TRUE Copper is unparalleled in its shiny copperniness (no, that's not a word)).

okay thats the first time i have seen that copper cpu heatsink

me wants one :) its really cool looking in copper

only problem is ive looked at the 4 places you said are good to buy from as well as frozen PC and cannot find one for sell ...

do you know a reputable place to order one form that has one in stock

I found two that says they are in stock

here http://www.ultimatepccooling.com/thermalright-true-copper-ultra120-extreme-cpu-coo120.html

and

here but this one says REV C what thsi revision C one all about should i get this one instead and is this a reputable place to buy from .. i get leary sometimes buying from places online wondering if it really is in stock or not and if they might jsut take money then say its on backorder forever

http://www.svc.com/truecopper.html

heh thats almost nice enough to even put on a desk as a piece of art

heh i like to colelct things that almsot makes me want to become a heatsink collector

Last edited:
heh thats almost nice enough to even put on a desk as a piece of art

heh i like to colelct things that almsot makes me want to become a heatsink collector

See? A few minutes ago you were convinced all HSFs were big, ugly, clunky pieces of metal... And now you have found the sexiest one of them all... That True Copper is the closest thing to "sexy" inside a computer case... Other components are "blingtastic", but only the True Copper is "sexy"... IMHO.

And it will keep the 980x nice and cool too.

PS: I'd jump on that deal from Performance PCs that Hokie listed... That HSF is priced at $99 at all the other e-Tailers that have it. $69 from P-PCs is a bargain!!!

Last edited:
Back