• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Value of ATI x800 cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Streifenkarl

Im about to get a new gfx card and decided it would be ATI again, after this 9800 Pro. Mainly because of their performance in FarCry, which was the biggest influence on my decision. Now, this whole product line looks pretty confusing with all the 800s, 850s, Pros, XTs, XT PEs and all... the 9800 line looked more concise somehow.

Now my question is: Which card actually has the best value? I dont mean just the price, but the price/speed value. For example, the x800XT PE isnt that much faster than the x800XT. and the x850XT/XT PE are somewhere in the mix. So which one should i get. The system will be the one in my sig, as i wont upgrade any other parts right now.

Thanks for any ideas and input on the matter.

there are 2 good values in the x8XX line in my opinion

1st powercolor or conect 3d x800 pro vivo (only vivo) cause they are compleatly identical to the x800xtpe only dif is the bios whitch u can flash into a x800xtpe because that is the speeds the card is rated for
u can find thoes for about 400$-450$

2nd is the x850tx u can find thoes for as little as 450$ and the one i bought was the same as a xtpe so naturaly i flashed it u can find thoes in pcie only right now (dont think u canfind the agp ones for sale yet)

well thats the deals id consider if i wher u have fun :)

Are there any rip offs among these new cards? For example i think the 9800XT was a rip off a year ago because it

a) was hardly any faster than the 9800 Pro but
b) did cost a 100 bucks more and
c) was released only a short time before the x800 series took off.

So, with keeping in mind that the R520 isnt too far away, what are the rip offs in the x800 series? The 850s somehow look like they deserve that label, no?

yeah the platinums 600+$

the x850s arent something better realy they just came out with them cause it was hard to make the x800s but they perform about the same when compaired at the same freq/pipes

Aww, c'me on guys, nothing to share about this issue? Or has this question been asked too often? It would be cool if someone could post a link to articles which cover the x800-x580 cards and compare them.

Hey Sean, why was it hard to make the x800 cards? And whats different in the architecture of the x850s compared to their older brothers?

X800Pro Vivo's are a good bet, but as heard flashing can be bad for the card over time, otheres and I have experianced this issue. Probley the best bet to guarrenty the pipes and speed is to get either the X800XT or X850XT AGP flavor for ya.

Streifenkarl said:
Im about to get a new gfx card and decided it would be ATI again, after this 9800 Pro. Mainly because of their performance in FarCry, which was the biggest influence on my decision. Now, this whole product line looks pretty confusing with all the 800s, 850s, Pros, XTs, XT PEs and all... the 9800 line looked more concise somehow.

Beacuse it was the 9800 cards were in its own class they didnt need to go to X800XTPE just to keep up with an ultra back it the day even pros were kicking ***, but at the present moment i think the X800XL is a bargin!

Blackmage said:
Beacuse it was the 9800 cards were in its own class they didnt need to go to X800XTPE just to keep up with an ultra back it the day even pros were kicking ***, but at the present moment i think the X800XL is a bargin!

But there isn't a X800XL AGP version so thats out of the question.

Yeah, couldnt find an XL AGP version so far. And i couldnt find ANY x850 AGP cards too? At least here in germany. Whats up with that? Problem is, i need the new card pretty fast, since my 9800 Pro is already on ebay. And i guess the XL and 850XT AGPs wont hit the market in the next 5 days or so... ;)

But lets make this more simple: Is the x800XT PE a good card compared to the x850XT and x850XT PE when it comes to cost/speed value? I have seen a Sapphire x800XT PE for 431,99€, thats about 570USD. What'ya think?

Edit: Just checked pricewatch.com for some US prices and holy crap, are these cards cheap over there! They cost only 500 bucks! Does anyone know a show that ships to europe too? But i guess I'd have to pay some tax at the customs. Darn. So who wants to buy one for me and send it over? :cool:

Last edited:
Shipping cost for something that size will cost a load of money to go over sea's. Better off getting the card there.

As for the X850's and such and the X800XL they are coming out in AGP varities (grr damn I wanted the last of the top of the line AGP cards) but it probley won't be for at least a month if not longer.

Well you said you are looking at that XTPE, now what does a X800XT cost in comparison? About $100-150 cheaper (US dollars)?

For the XTPE cards you are paying at least a $100 premium on them for an extra 20mhz on the core over the XT's. Now i'd say that the XT cards can OC at least 20mhz to make that difference up and costing considerably less.

Hmmm, the cheapest X800XT i could find here in germany costs 402,99€. And thats from Powercolor... gay as hell. Just found a Sapphire x800XT PE Lite retail for 422€! So the difference between the two would only be 20 bucks, which i think is pretty fair. :cool:

Then I'd say go for it...

BTW Why does everyone dis powercolor, hell I've had a great time with there cards.

i'd go for the x800 pro vivo if u can find a cheap one over there. i bought the xtpe but in retrospect, i should have got an x800, flashed it and saved myself a whole load of money. imo if you want bang for your buck, go x800 pro vivo :).

How are the chances to get one, which can be flashed? As someone said earlier, there are some problems with a couple of Pros.

Edit: What does "Bulk" mean? Found a x800XT PE from Sapphire that costs only 409€, but it says "Bulk version" in the offer sheet. Does that mean i dont get a box and stuff, just the card in a static bag? (In that case i wouldnt buy it.)

Bulk usally means OEM... Which means you get the majority of the stuff just in an unmarked white box. If anything you just miss some of the games that come with it thats about it.

Okay, just placed my order. Darn, how am i gonna explain this to my girlfriend, i mean that i wont be able to spend time with her for the next... uh, two weeks? :shrug: ;)

Say you came down with pink eye, a nasty flew, and you are running a fever. Then blame it on work or school people giving it to you :)

Whoever said a X800Pro Vivo is a XTPE with a different BIOs is wrong, it's really not. There's a reason it's Pro and not a XTPE.

I think the X800XL is a pretty good buy.

I do agree that a a X800Pro Vivo is still a good buy. With some decent cooling they o/c very well and can be modded into 16 pipes.

Smokey21 said:
Whoever said a X800Pro Vivo is a XTPE with a different BIOs is wrong, it's really not. There's a reason it's Pro and not a XTPE.

I think the X800XL is a pretty good buy.

I do agree that a a X800Pro Vivo is still a good buy. With some decent cooling they o/c very well and can be modded into 16 pipes.

Umm Smokey a Pro Vivo is basically a XTPE with a different bios. Same PBC, Same Ram, Same Chip... THe only thing thats holding it back is the XTPE Bios and not meeting there standards in the 16pipes.

Back