• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I change HD cluster size during a fresh install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

Hey all.

I'm about to format my RAID 0 setup, and reinstall Windows XP Pro.

I want to set my cluster size to 16k, instead of the default 4k. How do I do this whilst doing a fresh install? I know how to do it IN Windows with Disk Management, but not outside of Windows.

Any ideas?

Also, I want to set my stripe size to 16k also, but my Gigabyte 8INXP board only lets me select whether I will use the RAID array for "Video Editing" or standard "Desktop". It does not tell you what size those stripes are.

Is there another way of doing this?

Thanks.

;)

Hello mate!

Try formatting the disk using disk management in XP. It will prompt you for the cluster size. My computer> manage >disk management and right click on the disk you want to format and select format. This works if you are not booting and running XP from that disk. (Just type in "disk management" in Windows Help to get there quickly).

Alternatively, you could use partition magic (I have not tried it but I've see it being done).

Hope this helps,

S_N

What is the purpose of a larger cluster size? I thought that just created more wasted space with a lot of small files and decreased performance.

The switch for cluster size as detailed in the Windows XP CD Support/Tools Folder Help Documents are suppose to be OFORMAT X: /A:? were;
  • X = DRIVE LETTER
  • ? = SWITCH VALUE
    • 8 = 4K (8 X 512 = 4096)
    • 16 = 8K
    • 32 = 16K
So the command should look like OFORMAT C: /A:8 for 4K clusters. You're suppose to do this in the Recovery Console but it doesn't always work. I should remind ou that Windows XP seems to work its best on a 4K Cluster Size & I don't really know why that is.

Sonny said:
I should remind ou that Windows XP seems to work its best on a 4K Cluster Size & I don't really know why that is.

Could you explain/link more about this? From what I understand windows doesn't really care what the cluster size is, and performance just depends on what size and how many files you are read/writing.

And yes 16k will waste more space than 4k, but if you have enough GB then it might not matter.

voodoomelon said:
Hey all.

I'm about to format my RAID 0 setup, and reinstall Windows XP Pro.

I want to set my cluster size to 16k, instead of the default 4k. How do I do this whilst doing a fresh install? I know how to do it IN Windows with Disk Management, but not outside of Windows.

Any ideas?

Also, I want to set my stripe size to 16k also, but my Gigabyte 8INXP board only lets me select whether I will use the RAID array for "Video Editing" or standard "Desktop". It does not tell you what size those stripes are.

Is there another way of doing this?

Thanks.

;)

You said you wanted to do this outside of Windows, if this is sort of what you are asking go here:
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37734

If you are slipstreaming with SP2, it will default it back to 4K. You have two options, either load SP2 separately or copy 7 files from original or SP1 CD (there is a link on the page with the list of files) and burn another ISO and connect up another IDE drive with any flavor of XP and then format from Administrative Tools, Computer Management. In the left window click once on disk management. Disconnect the IDE drive and proceed normally except when format option comes up, choose keep current file system intact.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the info Fdisk, just aswell you mentioned that, because I just bought a version of XP Pro with SP2. The damn thing won't install on clusters >4k!

I'll have to make a slipstreamed CD now, and install that way.
ASWELL as get an IDE hard drive and install Windows on it.

(BTW, to make the slipstreamed CD, I presume I just copy those older files from my old XP SP1 CD onto my desktop, put in a blank CD and my new XP SP2, then copy all the files and folders on the XP SP2 to the blank CD, minus the offending files, and in their place drag the files on my desktop onto the CD?)

Some effort just to get a 16k cluster size...

Thanks for all the input.

;)

voodoomelon said:
(BTW, to make the slipstreamed CD, I presume I just copy those older files from my old XP SP1 CD onto my desktop, put in a blank CD and my new XP SP2, then copy all the files and folders on the XP SP2 to the blank CD, minus the offending files, and in their place drag the files on my desktop onto the CD?)

;)

Haven't tried it myself, but this thread is all about slipstreaming SP2:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=325065

Slipstreaming isnt too hard to begin with.. But check out NLITE... It does all the work for you and will also allow you to remove alot of unwanted stuff from windows before the install..

Thanks for all the replies, but I found the perfect Slipstreaming guide here.

It really is very simple, I got it all to work perfect.

The only pain was getting the 16k cluster size by installing on a seperate hard drive first, then going into Windows and formatting my RAID 0 array to 16k that way.

Give slipstreaming a go, it's a real satisfying feeling once you get it working.

;)

Back