• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case airflow & pressure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

I've read that achieving pressure in a case could help keeping it cooler and most of all helps keep the dust away. Do you agree, and is this done by having more air exiting the case than entering it?

by increasing the pressure, the semi-closed system inside your computer would want to maintain equilibrium, so that would force the dust out. That's a theory based on basic science principles. I'm not sure if it would apply in this case. You can try and increase the pressure by having more intake fans than exhaust fans.

In theory it works, but there are many factors that depend on this. The cleanliness of the room. Whether it is carpeted or not, are their any pets, The location of the intake fans, The volume and velocity of air moved through the case, etc.

the room is carpeted, I do have pets and it's reasonnably clean...The case I plan to buy is the Antec SLK3000B, so 120mm Intake in front, 120 mm exhaust in the back and of course the PSU fan. Wouls setting the RPM in the exhaust fan higher then the intake increase pressure?

Last edited:
guillaume said:
I've read that achieving pressure in a case could help keeping it cooler and most of all helps keep the dust away. Do you agree, and is this done by having more air exiting the case than entering it?

its not possible to have more air entering the case than exiting or your case will explode :) (or vice versa). the same amount of air enters as leaves. IMHO i wouldn't worry about this. there will be no noticeable difference in temps from having the intake at slightly higher rpm. what is most important is fast renewal of air inside the case and making sure there are no dead spots in the flow which will create hotspots. just have both fans at stock speed unless they are too noisy. also use a dust filter if you are worried about dust

Not possible, at all. No offense but there is no way that a fan would be able to produce enough static pressure to remove dust. atmospheric pressure is 14.5 psi, and if you added even say 1 psi to the interior of the case, then from my case being 17" x 18" that would be three hundred and six pounds of force that would rip the side right off. You would really need something like a small supercharger to do that. ;) It is not the static pressure that removes dust, but the constant air flow, and you would really need a screen so that the intake fans are not pulling in more dust.

If you really want to get rid of dust though, try putting a piece of swiffer inside of the case :D I never got around to trying that, but it might work

redwraith94 said:
If you really want to get rid of dust though, try putting a piece of swiffer inside of the case :D I never got around to trying that, but it might work

I don't recommend doing that, lol. I always thought that those dust cleaning things are charged and that would fry all your components.

redwraith94 said:

lol. would fly straight for the nearest component probably :)

guillaume said:
I've read that achieving pressure in a case could help keeping it cooler and most of all helps keep the dust away. Do you agree, and is this done by having more air exiting the case than entering it? <---(the opposite is true)
If you have all fans set to exhaust, that'll suck dust thru every miniscule crack in the case (ie:negative pressure). If you have more intake fans, that'll keep dust from being sucked through every crack (ie: positive pressure).

Or as everybody else mentioned, you can maintain equilibrium by dividing cfm's evenly. The important part is to filter all intakes, and clean the filters regularly.

Back