• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Burn-In Technique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Normally what I had meant by that was, when you start monkeying around with the settings it takes an hour or so of re-burning before you start on a level plane again.

I also think that a burn-in every few weeks, if possible, would be a good thing to maintain the stability that you got from the initial burn-in procedure. I would not suggest lowering the voltage and doing the whole procedure again, but just doing a regular CPU BURN at the newest, settled stability settings overnight every few weeks. It has been known to help me, at least.

g0dM@n said:
I also think that a burn-in every few weeks, if possible, would be a good thing to maintain the stability that you got from the initial burn-in procedure. I would not suggest lowering the voltage and doing the whole procedure again, but just doing a regular CPU BURN at the newest, settled stability settings overnight every few weeks. It has been known to help me, at least.

Every few weeks? Once its stable and I've settled on a voltage it will probably be folding everytime I'm not using it. That should be plenty :)

Eric

Sentential said:
@Mollov:
While your method is interesting, I think it might be too aggressive for conditioning. It honestally takes a very long time to get anywhere.

Well the method is yours :)
About my add-on - I'm going to try that also.... and what about the PhCh thing - do you think, that with PhCh it's not workable because of the low temps.... I'm doing third 12h loop and nothin' changin'.... Prime would lock up at about the same level...

Well about the 5th to 7th minute.... after the first burn-in it would kick to failure, but now after the 2nd and 3rd run - at the same time level it would lock up..... and the restart is the only option for me....

Now I'm running the 4th burn-in loop.... let's see...

CPU Burn Question

For those of you running these burnins, what program are you using to do so? I have been trying CPU-Burn, but I seem to be finding that it will go for 4-5 hours steady (I turned error checking off for max CPU Stress) and I will be at work or sleeping during this, and then when I get home/wake up, the CPU has rebooted. I know when the test finishes it just opens a window and says complete. Is there another sort of program that has a logging function that I can use? So that if this keeps happening, I can go to the log and see exactly what time it ended.

I have had the same problem, but I realized that when it does that either your OC is too high (meaning the cpu already hit its wall), or you need to still give a little more volts.

If giving volts does not help then that means your CPU already hit its wall. My CPU, no matter what, cannot do prime stable above 299x9. I can do 299x9 at 1.55volts prime stable, but I've tried 300x9 at 1.64 volts and it's so unstable.

I can run it at 200x11.5 (I have a 2600+ Non-Mobile) and it runs most programs fine, and can run CPU Burn for 2-3 hours before it does that. However after I made my last post, I ran prime95, and it failed in less than 10 seconds. I clocked it back down to 190 and am going to do a long burnin this weekend. With a 2600+, shouldnt my lower multis be avaliable? I know the higher are locked, but I cant get it to recognize the processor correctly if i set it to 11 or 10 or anything.

If you set it to other clocks and it's not recognizing that means your multi is LOCKED. Only A64s give you the option of using lower multis. With AXPs it's just luck of the draw. The stepping becomes the deciding factor for AXPs, UNLESS it's a mobile.

g0dM@n said:
I have had the same problem, but I realized that when it does that either your OC is too high (meaning the cpu already hit its wall), or you need to still give a little more volts.

Well that's at only 3003MHz/1.5V.... I don't think, that it's the wall.... I've just finished the 4th burn-in and the CPU is more stable I think.... passed by the 10th minute as I write.... :) We'll see....

Uhm, what chip are you running at 3003mhz?

Btw, Sen, or anyone for the matter... how well does the burn-in work for intel?

It's a 3500+ Venice... from the fist batches....

ADA3500DA4BP
CBBLE 0504EPAW
1195196B50034

Wanna make it run @3.2G, but I got only 1.66V without a Vmod... it's running Prime for an hour now... :)

Last edited:
I have some questions about the best method for my cpu. Im stuck old school right now. Here is my current system

Abit BE6-II v2.0
MSI Master v2.3 Slocket(I also have an abit slocket!!! but havent tried it)
Celeron 1100 cD0 stepping(Coppermine not Tualatin) default 1.75v 11x100
256mb cheap pc133 cl3 ram that will run cl2 up to about 118fsb
riva tnt agp video(Cause my mx400 just died)

I think i have a good chip because it will run perfectly fine at 1.4v at the default speed. I can load windows at up to 120fsb(1320mhz) with 1.8v but anything over 113 crashes prime95 within 1 minute no matter how hight the voltage is set. Ive gotten chip to post up to 1364(124fsb), but I havent tried any higher. This chip wont take over 1.9 volts without crashing at any speed. The highest stable speed I can achieve is 1250(11x113) @ 1.8v. Using cpuburn to burn the chip, ive been able to get it to load windows down to 1.6v @113fsb, and I burned it in until i was able to load windows at 114fsb at 1.6v. Is this a good method? to just burn it in at 1.6v till i can raise one mhz fsb the same voltage and burn it in more? Or should i take it all the way to 120fsb and try to get the voltage down from there?

edit: Im also using a vantec FCE-62540D and my cpu never averages more than 40 degrees C at any speed/voltage combination using motherboard monitor. at 113fsb and 1.8v my idle temp is about 26-28c and while using cpuburn the temp is about 38C.

First you need to find out your max OC at the highest voltage you're willing to give it. See how stable it is at your max OC and then run the burn in, but MAKE SURE the system is slightly stable before doing so; otherwise, you'll come back to your PC and it may have rebooted or frozen.

Get to the overclock you want, but make sure it can run p95 for at least 5-10min. I usually like p95 to be able to go at least 10min myself. That's usually your sweetspot with the voltage to burn in with. Then use CPU BURN IN and disable error checking. Run that baby for 8-12 hours and you're set. An overnight burn-in is the most convenient... Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Got it to a stable 3150MHz/1.71V right now...... will run the burin-in @1.67V for 2/3x12h... wanna make 3.2GHz with no more than 1.7V :)

Run the burn-in for 2/3x12h? 2/3rds of 12 hours? as in 8 hrs?

Btw, are you on WC or AC?

As I wrote above i'm running Phase Change, Vapochill LS in particular....

2/3x12h means 2 or 3 runs, each for 12 hours... :)

Back