• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperbob

I want to mod my case cause theres little ventilation in there.
Here are some pics of my pc.

....ok, looks great, what are we suppose to answer? got any particular questions? Yes, you should put at least 1 side fan, 1 top exhust, and I would suggest a front intake.

EDIT: one pic didn't show up, 3rd one, and that fan grill as you may call it is horrible, won't let any air in, too much pressure will give ya 1/2 of not less the amount of airflow (CFMs) Cut that thing open and use another grill, sonuds like a lot of work huh? believe me it's worth it and to me fun.

any ideas or suggestions? I have one intake fan at the front, 3 fans blowing out at the back.

train22 said:
....ok, looks great, what are we suppose to answer? got any particular questions? Yes, you should put at least 1 side fan, 1 top exhust, and I would suggest a front intake.

I have a front intake fan already.
What should I do about the case grill at the back? How should I cut the holes? What should I cut the holes wiht?

I would suggest a hole saw, it's simplest and most proffesional. will give ya great results with ease.

Like I said in the last EDIT, cut that grill off, it's just as bad as having no fan in there. You always want to have as much air as possible and grills like that is bad, A ducts is really the best solution.

number 3 was just of my cluttered inside.

BTW do u have a pic of what a hole cutter looks like? I am not that good with identifying hardware. Can I get one at like a hardware store or something?

yes, very comman in tool hardware stores such as home depots and lowells, do it yourself hardware, etc...

Here's a SideView of 1 I just found:
vac20.jpg

ohhh... found a better looking one...
D180034.gif.png

heh, these should range from 5-20 bucks, depending on the quality, mine was 9 bucks and it was fine, (Make sure it works on metal) usualy the cheap ones work just fine, hope you have an electric drill, you should always have one of those anyways!

yeah or if you have a dremel you can cut holes with that i prefer tin snips but im used to them now and can cut jagged free holes with them, also, when you go cutting on a case, i cannot warn you enough to take everything out of the case before cutting on it any, you dont want a little piece of metal shorting anything out. remeber the 15 mins it take to take everything out of the case is wortth the money you would save if you had to replace everything in the case due to something shorting out.

A dremel (short for Dremel Tool) is a hobbyist's dream. Here you can find information about the many models available. There are also a huge variety of assorted bits you can put into the dremel tool that allow you to do just about anyghing. You can cut, engrave, polish, etc... on wood, metal, plastic, etc... If you're gonna do much modding, I would suggest buying one if you can afford it.

train22 said:
I would suggest a hole saw, it's simplest and most proffesional. will give ya great results with ease.

Like I said in the last EDIT, cut that grill off, it's just as bad as having no fan in there. You always want to have as much air as possible and grills like that is bad, A ducts is really the best solution.

a hole saw would definatly be the best way to make clean and professional looking holes

Another way if you already have a drill, and want to improve airflow, is to drill those air holes for your fans a bit bigger. this way you can get more airflow, and if you still feel like you need more, you can go bigger, or cut them out completely like the others are suggesting. however way you choose to do it, remember to completely take everything out of your case, and to vacuum it thoughly to remove any metal particles left behind after drilling/ and or cutting.

Back