• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

640 @ 4.0 (250 x 16)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMainFrame

Rig in Sig

Stock Voltage on everthing

CPU idles at 32C-33C
CPU Load at 45C-46C

Running Prime95 as we speak been running 30 min now no warnings or errors..
Ima let it run prob 2 more hours maybe just round it off to 3 and report back with the results

Just wondering.. i know that the 640 can run at a 14X cause its not locked... unfortunaly my board wont let me change mutlplier... ill soo have a Abit AA8XE when that time comes what are your thought on..

14 x 285 - 4.0

If that a viable option? can the 640's get FSB that high?

Will the Ram rated for 266 running at 285 handle that?

Last edited:
Only mobos that can support that is an Asus P5 series I believe .. and yes your OCZ should handle 285mhz. If you take off the heatspreaders and put a fan on it ... maybe even higher. But ... I dont think you should buy a completely new mobo just to abuse the multi option. FSB dosn't matter .. its all about the MHZ for in terms of what the chip can handle, your 640 should get an easy 4Ghz. GL.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
yes your OCZ should handle 285mhz. If you take off the heatspreaders and put a fan on it

Im not usiing the stock heatspreaders got some new ones for em.. Think if i fan both of them with the heat spreaders on iwill be able to goto 285? Witha nice fan offcourse

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Only mobos that can support that is an Asus P5 series I believe

The AA8XE wont have supprt for a 14x multiplier?

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I dont think you should buy a completely new mobo just to abuse the multi option.

Well this board was so i could slowly progress into DDR2 and PCI-E

now this board goes in my other comp for its transition..

So as you see i need board anyway.. not just getting for mulitplier

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
FSB dosn't matter .. its all about the MHZ for in terms of what the chip can handle, your 640 should get an easy 4Ghz. GL.

Ya but if its still runnin at 4.0 and i cant get 285 on Ram while running 1:1 i aint got no complaints.. sounds good ot me

Heck.. if i could get that to run stable id just be happy right there

TheMainFrame said:
Im not usiing the stock heatspreaders got some new ones for em.. Think if i fan both of them with the heat spreaders on iwill be able to goto 285? Witha nice fan offcourse

The AA8XE wont have supprt for a 14x multiplier?

Well this board was so i could slowly progress into DDR2 and PCI-E

now this board goes in my other comp for its transition..

So as you see i need board anyway.. not just getting for mulitplier

Ya but if its still runnin at 4.0 and i cant get 285 on Ram while running 1:1 i aint got no complaints.. sounds good ot me

Heck.. if i could get that to run stable id just be happy right there

What are you talking about removing heatspreaders? If you are talking about the metal cap on your prescott I would leave it on.

ol' man said:
What are you talking about removing heatspreaders? If you are talking about the metal cap on your prescott I would leave it on.

No where talking bout the heat spreaders on the RAM

Made 3 hour Prime95.. gonna go for 12+ hour tommorow while im at work.. ill let you know how it goes

Last edited:
OK 9 and a half hours while i was at work and all is ok still...

id say the OC is solid

nikhsub1 said:
Very nice! I get my 640 tomorrow, hope she'll do at least 4.4 Stable.

Shouldent have a prob at all.. i just stopped at 4.0 for stability testing

What ya cooling it with? anything past a great heatsink and you could prob aim higher... id like to see what water would do for it

TheMainFrame said:
Shouldent have a prob at all.. i just stopped at 4.0 for stability testing

What ya cooling it with? anything past a great heatsink and you could prob aim higher... id like to see what water would do for it
Look at sig, massive H20 :D

O.. rockin!!

4.4 .... id say you got it bro :)

That will be a blast.. im thinking of going water myself

nikhsub1 said:
Ive actually had not 1 problem with this mobo? I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Its more the combo of that CPU and this MB.

I have also had horrible luck with RAM support.

Not to mention that this MB refuses to run over 260 FSB regardless of settings.

Please let me know how it works out, any insight you can give would be great.

fAlCoNNiAn said:
you only ran one instance of prime? i was sure that you have to run 2 instances if you have hyper threading enabled.... :shrug: if so, then you did the stability test wrong. if im wrong, someone please correct me.

huh? how do you get 2 copy's of prime running..

it wont let me open 2

Back