• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which P4 cpu has 30 caps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P4mustangtime

For some many weeks - I've tried to figure out which P4 cpu is a 12-cap type and which is a 30-cap type. So far I've only know that 3.0 Ghz (Northwood?) has that, and I think a 3.2 Ghz also has one for 30 caps. Problem is which serial model # ??

The big question is...has anyone ever tried to make up a list to show what cpu serial model have 30 caps? I'd think that would be a good way to use while hunting for one to buy or bid in the classifeds or on eBay.

Anyone on board have inform to share? Thanks!

Don't waste your time. When the 30 cappers first came out, the seem a little better than the current crop of 12 cappers, but after a few months, it no longer seemed to matter. I have a 12 cap 3.0C that overclocks as well if not better than most 30 cap ones. With the 3.0C and 3.2C Northwoods, the same D0 stepping s-spec code can be found in either configuration. The only way to be guaranteed a 30 cap 800 bus CPU is to get M0 stepping 2.4C, 2.8C, or 3.0C.

Thanks, batboy! I at least get some idea by what you suggest about looking for cpu chips with the "MO" setting on them.

I just want to get a 30-capper since I already have a 12-capper. I wanted to get one to see how much different while I do tests at home.

I had a 3.0C SL6Wk and it was 30 caps. I agree with Batboy regarding the OC potential, it doesn't matter if it's 12 caps or 30 caps. I had several 30 caps CPUs and some were total crap

Well, UnderTheSun - that makes you the second that says doest matter whatever 30 or 12 caps it is. I'd image there's more people who'd agree with you both.

You might be right after all...I just brought a magazine "PC Modder" which features the whole list of all 2.8 Ghz P4 cpus run by tests for O'Cing. I read that it doesn't matter if it has 12 or 30 caps in there. It even said that most cpus are unique in each its own - some are real good, some can be lousy. That much I do agree.

Hey, I just got me last night to upgrade my cpu - I got a SL6WJ Phippillies 2.8 GHz cpu.

Back