• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my memory holding me back once again?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yoshpop

At 9x290HTT/241mem (2.61GHz) my computer can run SuperPi 32M w/o any problems with the memory running at 2.85v 2.5-4-4-8. However it fails the torture test in Prime95 within the first minute. My memory is geil ultra ddr500, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144517
My vcore is running ~1.52v and my motherboard is a neo2 platinum. If I try to do 9x300 my computer won't even post, even if the vcore is at ~1.55-1.57. Is it my memory is that causing prime95 to fail, or is my 3000+ venice just ****ty?

Just so you know..... Prime95 is usually much more demanding on systems than Superpi. If you're stable at 2.6 in Superpi, you might be stable in Prime95 at 2.5. You might have to up the voltage on your cpu also.

I just up'd my vcore up to ~1.55-1.57 and it failed prime95 after 4 minutes now.

edit. with vcore of 1.52 and memory timings of 3-4-4-10 it failed within the first minute.

Last edited:
leave the voltage at 1.52 and drop the clock down to 2.5Ghz and see what happens..... basically you're not getting enough voltage to the cpu to support 2.6GHz.

Alright I ran Prime95 and it ran for 6 minutes without any errors. I left the vcore at 1.52 and 9x280 (2.52). With this being said you are right Houserat. From here should I look into a new PSU? my current one is only an enlight420. When running @ 2.61GHz I can play battlefield 2 for a couple hours without any problems, however it did lockup once, which may be because my videocard is oc'd.

Yoshpop said:
Alright I ran Prime95 and it ran for 6 minutes without any errors. I left the vcore at 1.52 and 9x280 (2.52). With this being said you are right Houserat. From here should I look into a new PSU? my current one is only an enlight420.

I wouldn't blame the PSU just yet..... you can tell if thats the problem by seeing how much it fluctuates under load...... if you see it dip down to 11.5 at load then you might want to consider a more stable PSU. Just keep in mind the Prime is more stressful than Superpi32mb. Play around with it by dropping the clocks and raising the vcore to see what you come up with......

Edit: use some software to moniter your voltage and see how much it dips..... if you really want accurate voltage detection then get a volt meter. Using software will give you a good idea though.

Alright thanks. It usually stays around 12.08v, with it dipping down to 11.96 under load. I'm gonna up the vcore until I can get prime stable, however I might hafta ditch the stock cooler.

edit: Alright I just up'd the voltage to 1.62 and 2.61 passed the first test on prime95 fine. The cpu reached a peak temp of 53C.

Last edited:
Yoshpop said:
Alright thanks. It usually stays around 12.08v, with it dipping down to 11.96 under load. I'm gonna up the vcore until I can get prime stable, however I might hafta ditch the stock cooler.

edit: Alright I just up'd the voltage to 1.62 and 2.61 passed the first test on prime95 fine. The cpu reached a peak temp of 53C.

;)

I guess once in a while I'm right about something...... :D

You're gonna want to do something about the cooling on that thing though......

Yea I'm gonna hold off of 2.61GHz until I get better cooling. 285x9 passes prime and it's only running @ 1.52vcore. For now I can live with 45 less mhz for .1 less vcore.

Back