• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Restart loop after 8700K Silicon Lottery delid - is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noizwaves

Hi everyone,

Recently I sent my 8700K off for delidding at Silicon Lottery (https://siliconlottery.com/). It came back last week, and I installed it back into my system on Friday. After a day of light gaming and maybe 1 hour of misc Prime95, the computer froze a couple of times and then refused to POST. It would power on, start checking things, and then power off after 1-2 seconds.

After some debugging, I isolated the problem to the installation of the CPU Cooler (a Noctua NH-D15S). Now, with the heatsink screwed onto the mounting bracket "fully tight", the computer reboots in the loop. Relax the screw tension with 3 turns of the screwdriver, and the system boots just fine... The instructions (at https://noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_d15s_manual_en_web_v2.pdf) state to screw the heatsink onto the mount using the 2 screws until fully tight, and this is how I've been running it for the last year problem free.

I've recorded the behavior (full tension, partial tension, and then full tension again) and uploaded it here

Is this normal for a delidded CPU? Has anyone else encountered this type of issue with a delidded CPU?

Full system specs:
- CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (no overclock)
- CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
- Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
- Memory: Team - T-Force DARK 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
- Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
- Storage 2: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
- GPU: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
- Case: Corsair - Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
- Power supply: Corsair - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Many thanks in advance,

Adam

After some emails back and forth with Silicon Lottery, they identified the issue as bent pins on my motherboard's socket. Must have happened during removal/re-installation by me. Dammit!

Fully tightening the screws must be just enough force to break contact.

Their support replied back super fast and was really helpful!

Have you actually inspected the socket pins or are you taking SL's analysis as definitive? If you haven't visually inspected the socket under good light I would certainly do so. Did you notice if the IHS was centered well?

Hey trents, I did notice some irregularities in the socket pins when preparing to reinstall the CPU into the socket.

The IHS on the CPU is centered well. The CPU itself looks good.

So where are you going with this now? Just going to loosen the screws on the cooler or are you looking at ether trying to realign the socket pins or get a new motherboard?

Get question! My OCD is driving me to attempt to fix the pins myself. That my laziness is driving me to leave the screws loosened.

Given the heatsink fees very solidly attached with the screws loosened, and there’s no stability issues, I’ll probably just do this, and re-evaluate if the system becomes unstable (OR I get bored and the bent pins bother me more than I am lazy :))

Just thought i would mention.....

I damaged some pins on my old Intel build a while back when packaging the motherboard for RMA. Asus was going to replace the whole socket for $130 Canadian. If you run into problems this might be a cheaper option then a new board.

You may need to pay shipping both ways for a repair that is necessitated by your own mistake.

Mr. Scott, have you had any personal dealings with the outfit you linked?

Not personally, but one of the W9 members did and had nothing but good to say, so I kept the link I just dropped here.

Back