• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling celeron 466

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elmo

What is the most effective form of cooling for a celeron 466 (i dont care how noisy) that would cost less than $100 AUD.

thanks.

Well, for a 100 dollars you can buy a cu celleron (retail includes a decent hsf if you don't oc it and isn't noisy) at 900 mhz that will blow that old 466 which was never really a good overclocker to start with, due to the high multiplier of 7.
so if your using a bx chipset or newer go with a new chip!!!

buy a new chip. hehe. the 466 doesnt go too high. chance are you can hit 525 with the stock heatsink. this is 75 fsb. at 83 fsb your gonna have data corruption problems so its not worth it. this chip wont hit 100 fsb unless you ln2 the thing which is stupid.

either go with 525 with 75 fsb or buy a new chip. the katami core that the 466 uses is limited to arround 600mhz anyways.

Ebola said:
buy a new chip. hehe. the 466 doesnt go too high. chance are you can hit 525 with the stock heatsink. this is 75 fsb. at 83 fsb your gonna have data corruption problems so its not worth it. this chip wont hit 100 fsb unless you ln2 the thing which is stupid.

either go with 525 with 75 fsb or buy a new chip. the katami core that the 466 uses is limited to arround 600mhz anyways.

The Celeron's don't use the Katami core. That is just the 512kb PIII's. Celeron's use the Mendicino core. Add why even bother getting a good heatsink/fan for the celeron...it is not going to overheat with a standard heatsink/fan. Trust me! I tried to kill this little Celeron plenty of times...it just won't die!

Sir-Epix said:

The Celeron's don't use the Katami core. That is just the 512kb PIII's. Celeron's use the Mendicino core. Add why even bother getting a good heatsink/fan for the celeron...it is not going to overheat with a standard heatsink/fan. Trust me! I tried to kill this little Celeron plenty of times...it just won't die!

Haha, so true. My 433 ran with a Gorb with a dead fan. Also when my gaskets on my peltier had small "crack" the cpu got wet and the computer froze. My little celery still kept on going. As for cooling, no cooling will even get you to 100fsb. I first froze mine by having a second psu on the peltier and let it sit for awhile. Then I booted it to 100fbs, I entered windows but I took about 10min to start and it benched about the same as a 486 would bench. Then it just froze. The core can't really handle over around 550. Hey pick up a 800 or 900 for about $50 or 1Ghz for $60 and go get yourself in the Ghz ranges. For $100 you can get a new celery and some really good HS/f combo.

Your board is a BX chip I think so if you want a chip to really overclock and have some fun with try finding a Celeron 600/633.

If you want a faster chip then go buy a Cel 900/1ghz, but overclocking wont yeild the higher percents.

Well i agree with most of the previus reply-posts.
My opinion:
You dont need special cooling for your celeron.
Overclocking it successfully depends on your specific chip and
your motherboard's capabilities.
My example:
A celeron 400 ppga SL37X on a QDI BRILIANT B1S with fsb options
66/75/83/100......only worked stable at 75.
At 83 i had problems with my agp.
The same celeron on a MSI 6309 V-2.0 worked completely stable
at 550mhz, 92fsb,with only 0,5 volts up and no heating problems
using the mammy's intel hsf.
So,decide what you're after.....and what you're going to do with your money.
I hope i helped you.

Zuck Gou :) said:
Your board is a BX chip I think so if you want a chip to really overclock and have some fun with try finding a Celeron 600/633.

If you want a faster chip then go buy a Cel 900/1ghz, but overclocking wont yeild the higher percents.

Oh the legendary 600s, they get up to 40% OC. I always wanted a cDO one of those to play with.

thanks for the help...so should i go for a celeron rather than duron for an upgrade? which one overclocks better?

a celeron overclocks by a farther percentage but a duron at the same speed is faster. if your pretty new to all of this intel systems are nice because if you make a mistake then you wont fry a chip. you already have an intel motherboard so you might want to get an intel chip for now and then save up and buy a whole new system later.

ah i see so is a duron "risky and tempting" in a way since you can change the multiplier?

oh, and i cant put anything better in my Chaintech 6BTM motherboard - it supports only up to PII 450 so im gonna have to change it anyway

Elmo said:
oh, and i cant put anything better in my Chaintech 6BTM motherboard - it supports only up to PII 450 so im gonna have to change it anyway

It should do more. What chipset is it? All intel CPUs are mulitiplier locked, so the only issuse is the chance of a bios update. My old board only sopported up to 300Mhz but I stuck a celeron 433 in there and got it to 540. At the release pII 450 might have been the fastest chip. Theres a good chance you can at least stick a faster celeron in there.

im not sure what chipset it is so ill have to go find the list that had details on them.

but im pretty sure it said 440BX.

even if it will go higher, if you have the extra cash and upgrade would be good, nit just for the CPU but all other componets, board dosent support ATA or anything over a stick of 64-128 ram I don't think. I could be wrong, never had one of them just guessing by the age of the mobo, your features are verry limited.

If your looking for a new comp get the 600 cDo that someone already mentioned..

Your already equipped with an Intel motherboard and if you wanted to go with Duron you would have to buy lots more things...

Motherboard>Chip>A new cooling system...
Since AMD tend to get really hot..

You should get some good ram too :D

Back