• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a question about re-wiring my case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AeroHawk

Registered
Hey guys,

I had a question... I have a Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A case. Now, I bought it about 3 months ago or so, and did a real crappy wiring job on it. I can't take pics now but tommorrow I will. As you know this case has a lot of room for fan usage, and right now I have all the fans hooked up. Thing is, it seems like it gets absolutely NO airflow in it... there is a huge BLOCK of wiring stuck pretty much in the middle. rofl.

Anyone know of a good guide, that could teach me some basic tips about wiring it so that there is proper ventilation? I swear if this had more of it I would be able to decrease temps by a good amount.

I'm going to have to post a pic of it... it always makes me crack up just looking at it lmao

edit: heres a link to it just to give you a visual http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133105

just run most of the wires behind the motherboard tray, and then tape/strap them back there, and only pull out what you will use, ie. the exact length, and just space them out so they dont bulge the rear panel out, and it will help tons, after that, i would suggest sleeving the cables on your PSU, it will make wire management so much better.

and after that, get rid of the flat ribbon cables, and use either rounded cables, or fold the ribbon cables like a pro, and get it on the far side of the drive cages. and lastly, make sure that the fans you have are suffeciently powerful enough, ie. a 80mm fan that only pushes 23 CFM is not good for a case the size of a Xaser III

My biggest suggestion would be to pull your parts out and sorta get to know your empty case. You gotta see where all of your hiding spots are. Do you have space next to your drive cages on the far side of the case? If so then this is a fantastic spot to run your wiring to. Then you can just sneak the wires around the cage when you hook up your drives.

Do you have unused wires coming off your PSU? If you do then you need to find a spot to hide them. Maybe there is space next to your PSU on the far side of the case.

Take a count of how many molex connectors you will need and take inventory of where they will be running to in the case. Biggest problem I see is alot of people run all of the wires from the PSU down to the middle of the case and use them willy nilly when they could be running say 2 fans off of the same molex.

I personally would not recommend rounded IDE cables, I think they are horrid for airflow in 99% of the circumstances. They are just too stiff and hard to move, and most cases end up having too much left over. Rounded cables make it very difficult to tuck the left over out of the way. If you take some time ribbon cables can be folded and run flat across the back and bottom of your case, taking very little space.

Twist ties are your friend :) It helps alot to bunch groups of wires together into smaller bundles. Twist ties can also be great for holding wires in place once you route them out of the way. You can find something in the case to tie them to alot of the time, otherwise they make adhesive anchors that twist ties can attach to that you can also use (although alot of the time twist ties to keep wires tight together and bending the wires how you want them will keep things from moving).

I have a screenshot of an old rig of mine, its a dually rig with a raid setup so there is a decent amount of wiring. This was about 10 minutes after I got done setting it up the initial time so my wiring was not perfected yet, but it shows how to route your wires out of the way and you can also see how the rounded cable sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the ribbon cables. The rounded cable was eliminated after this pic was taken for this reason.

Dually Internal 2 (Medium).jpg

Dually Internal 1 (Medium).jpg

Nice to see that your also using thermaltake pipe101 on your system. With fan that has alot of push they function so well!! There are lots of super thin copper fins and there isnt to much spacing between them so a powerful fan will make them work well.

Also as for wiremanagement with the xaser... I just had to revert to cutting off all the fan leads and wiring them to a main molex and connect that to one of the psu cables. Also that case will hold 2 92mm fans bottom front and top back. Get some 60CFM 92mm high speed panaflo. If you can stand noise get the ultra high speed. Those are 70 somthing... cfm. That will help keep you nice and cool :)

Back