• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Explorer.exe using up all my CPU time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

Hi all.

I have a big problem with explorer.exe runing in the background, eating my CPU time.
It jumps every second from being 0% CPU usage to typically 55% or higher, then back to 0% again.

So it will be like:
Seconds: 1 2 3 4 5 6
CPU Time Usage: 0% - 55% - 0% - 60% - 0% - 53%

etc etc.

error1.jpg

In the picture it shows 11% CPU usage, but its typically higher and the RAM usage is typically 24,000+.

Its real annoying and it seems to be a common problem.
I've been doing lots of browsing, and have tried different suggestions, but nothing works.

Can anyone help with this problem?
Thanks folks.

;)

explorer.exe (windows explorer) is not to be confused with iexplore.exe (internet explorer).

Your desktop, taskbar, windows explorer, my computer, etc etc all use this process. Some other applications actually will tie in to explorer.exe, and could be a possible source of issues. Do you have any applications that might add additional functionality to explorer, such as viewing thumbnails of video files or something of that sort?

Other possibility is that you still have some form of malware that you have not been able to find yet :(

if you end explorer.exe, your computer will restart.

try to boot to safe mode and see if explorer usage is still high. If not, disable any startup program in normal mode to see if the usage is still high.

OCOC said:

That is incorrect. It just shuts down the shell.

V_M I think you have some malware going on. It may not have a detection yet. Have you hit one of the online scanners yet? They are pretty much the latest of what is out there. If you have a custom job, you will have a hard time getting to the root of it, via retail.

How handy are you with your registry? You may have to dig manually for the file or see what is calling on explorer.

If you want give this free proggy a shot, it is a tad more powerful that the taskmanager:http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

It will show you each proccess and how much it is eating CPU time. Taking the time to find what each call is asking of the explorer.exe is a long and consuming process. Some suggest a reload of Windows to correct the issue. Not a nice option, but takes less time and easier in the long run. :p

Attachments

• TMss.jpg
    TMss.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Believe it or not, I actually did a full format to correct the problem about a week ago, and the problem returned about a day later. I'm guessing it returned through the process of me transfering all my backed up data from my backup hard drive back to my main drive.

I'm about to run your program Wolf, I'll examine it closely.

;)

It is great for logging what is going on too. You can use it as you add files from your backup to find the issue file or program. There is a host of goodness with this program.

Good luck bro, I hope this little bit I can offer helps you track down the problem. :D

OCOC said:

You are oinly partially correct here. In Windows 98 and similar, it will restart, but on 2000, XP and above, it will only close the shell. No restart. So I give you half a point for getting a correct answer, yet incorrectly? :shrug:

I am having the same problem, its using 100% and the only way I can use my computer is by ending explorer.exe or logging on as a different user : \ .... *cries*

I went to the thread and when I ran spybot search and destroy...It deleted winload.exe and I had to re-install windows.

Back