• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU died! X99 Intel 6850K CPU Strap/Bus Speed questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks WhitehawkEQ!

Woah 3 x99 systems O.C'd to 4GHz. So I'm assuming you O.C'd your RAM manually & didn't use XMP to retain the 100MHz CPU bus speed??

I'm not sure couldn't tell you what my vcore was set to. All I done was enable the XMP profile & left it at 125MHz bus speed after the problems I mentioned in my post regarding enabling XMP & changing the bus speed manually to 100MHz.

In your UEFI/BIOS, ether the EZ page or Advanced page you can see what your CPU voltage is. I looked in your MB manual.

X99Deluxe1.jpg

X99Deluxe2.jpg

Hey all thanks for taking the time to reply!

Hey magellan.

I was actually in your boat two or three years ago. My overclocked 5820k (or the motherboard, I never ascertained which) died. I ended up going with z390 and a 9700k and the quad channel RAM from my x99 build worked great in the new build, even overclocked further. If you have single rank DRAM, I've read having 4 sticks is better than 2 -- even on dual channel. The differences in gaming perf of my z390 rig over my x99 were negligible though even with my overclocked RAM and 9700k.

Ooof ascertained! I really have to start using that word, word of the day for me :)
Thanks for your reply. Yea I've also read that somewhere regarding the single & dual rank RAM but never got too deep into it. I'm pretty sure my Dominator Platinums are Dual Rank but I'll double check, thanks for reminding me. So same video card?
Also didn't the curiosity kill you to want to ascertain (yes!) what exactly died?
You still have that Z390/9700K PC or is your current PC the specs in your signature?
Man that 620W PSU in your sig sounds low but I'm assuming everything's fine & enough power? Would of thought you'd need more than that these days.

all of my machines are set to XMP, my 6800K, 8086K, 9600K, 9900K, we're all ok.
I have seen no to very little performance gains from memory speeds so I shop price and bling, bling and set to xmp.

Hi again caddi daddi!

Are all those CPU's the same socket? Is it only the X99 boards that set the bus speed to 125MHz when enabling XMP on RAM over the 2666MHz speed as far as you're aware?
Yea personally for my PC useage I really go more for RAM capacity rather than speed.
Thanks for the info!

Hi WhitehawkEQ.

In your UEFI/BIOS, ether the EZ page or Advanced page you can see what your CPU voltage is. I looked in your MB manual.

Hey thanks for your time to even check out my MB manual & your screenshots, appreciate it.
Well as you know right now with my dead CPU it's pretty hard to check out my voltage :( No BIOS to even check out lol just a CPU Fault LED & a nice black screen. With my 6850K being dead, would it be pointless to check it out when installing my girlfriend's 6800K? Voltage for 6850K & 6800K would be the same?
Also sorry for this repeat question but just curious, did you O.C your RAM manually & didn't use XMP to retain the 100MHz CPU bus speed??

Cheerz all.

Hi WhitehawkEQ.

Hey thanks for your time to even check out my MB manual & your screenshots, appreciate it.
Well as you know right now with my dead CPU it's pretty hard to check out my voltage :( No BIOS to even check out lol just a CPU Fault LED & a nice black screen. With my 6850K being dead, would it be pointless to check it out when installing my girlfriend's 6800K? Voltage for 6850K & 6800K would be the same?
Also sorry for this repeat question but just curious, did you O.C your RAM manually & didn't use XMP to retain the 100MHz CPU bus speed??

Ok, I set CPU for 40 and ram for 32 with bus speed at 100MHZ, my ram is 3200MHZ (3.2GHZ) ram and adjusted the ram timings a bit but no XMP settings was used.
As for the CPU voltage, when you get a new CPU/MB (what ever comes 1st) let us know when you get things running.

Hey all thanks for taking the time to reply!

Hey magellan.

Ooof ascertained! I really have to start using that word, word of the day for me :)
Thanks for your reply. Yea I've also read that somewhere regarding the single & dual rank RAM but never got too deep into it. I'm pretty sure my Dominator Platinums are Dual Rank but I'll double check, thanks for reminding me. So same video card?
Also didn't the curiosity kill you to want to ascertain (yes!) what exactly died?
You still have that Z390/9700K PC or is your current PC the specs in your signature?
Man that 620W PSU in your sig sounds low but I'm assuming everything's fine & enough power? Would of thought you'd need more than that these days.

Cheerz all.

Earthdog is right I have to change my sig, although the x79 system is still working my newer z390 build has a 750 Watt PSU that I have to replace.

The 6800K is x99, the others listed are 1151/z370, I have others around but these are the ones I use on A day in day out basis.
What bus speed you run I don't think will damage A cpu, I tend to fry mine with voltage and heat.

Thanks WhitehawkEQ for listing the steps you took.

Earthdog is right I have to change my sig, although the x79 system is still working my newer z390 build has a 750 Watt PSU that I have to replace.

Lol! Yea I think he's right magellan :)

The 6800K is x99, the others listed are 1151/z370, I have others around but these are the ones I use on A day in day out basis.
What bus speed you run I don't think will damage A cpu, I tend to fry mine with voltage and heat.

Ok.

Do yous know of any other motherboard/chipset other than the X99 that sets the CPU bus speed to 125MHz when enabling XMP??

It was kinda weird (in the 3 weeks it was working) to see Windows 10 Task Manager's Performance Tab was showing my CPU Speed at 3.2GHz only even though it was actually running at 4GHz & ofcourse confirmed the 4GHz with XTU, CPU-Z & ThrottleStop. Didn't take me long to realize that Windows was reading what my multiplier was set to which was 32 & Windows was calculating based on a 100MHz CPU bus speed even though obviously my bus speed was on 125MHz.

Looks like I'm settling with the ASUS ROG Strix z590-"E" & the Intel i9 11900K 3.5GHz. Might place the order in a day or 2. Started a thread here to see peoples thoughts on the z590-E as the reviews I've checked out seem really good. Thanks for all your inputs!

All of my z370' set to the 125 strap when xmp is selected.

Thanks caddi daddi. Ok yea I thought the 125MHz xmp was only the x99 chipset but only because it's the first I've seen it change automatically when enabling xmp.

Ordered my new CPU & motherboard, thanks all for your help!

so, send me your old 6850 and I'll see if it works!!!!

Soz been busy with the new build.
Hah! But I triple confirmed! Tested it on my girlfriend's motherboard which is the same as mine & it didn't work, CPU LED light on too with code "00". Tried her CPU in my motherboard & it worked normally.

Soz been busy with the new build.
Hah! But I triple confirmed! Tested it on my girlfriend's motherboard which is the same as mine & it didn't work, CPU LED light on too with code "00". Tried her CPU in my motherboard & it worked normally.

Send it to C_D anyways. He likes to play with corpses ;)

NEBS, you sick little prevert, go to your room or I'll tell them about THAT night in Reno!!!
Boo-Hoo, no x16-x16 for me.........

Send it to C_D anyways. He likes to play with corpses

LOL!!

NEBS, you sick little prevert, go to your room or I'll tell them about THAT night in Reno!!!
Boo-Hoo, no x16-x16 for me.........

HAHA!! 1-1

I mean if you really want I can send my supposedly dead 6850K. When I looked carefully at it I noticed some SLIGHT discolouration on the CPU pins side, like a slight duller colour (color for most of you!) than the original colour, just about 1/3 of it or less, looks like it got heated on a section of it more than the rest. I don't think I've EVER sent or needed to send any package overseas whatsoever in my whole life lol. Could it just be sent in like an ordinary envelope ? I'm the worst.
Actually it's funny because I just sold my ASUS x99 Deluxe II mobo on Ebay, was listed as international but someone interstate has bought it here in Australia & I still don't know what the process is to post it! There's like 347 different shipping options agghh.
Maybe I'm too scared that you'll receive my CPU corpse, play with it to revive it then be like HAHA! Your CPU is NOT dead! Which I wouldn't care as long as you don't tell me it works.

By the way I can't believe the prices that are going on Ebay for older mobo's such as my ASUS x99 Deluxe II woah. Sold it in less than a week listing for $475 AUS ($350 U.S) & mine was one of the cheaper listings including international, that's really insane! For a mobo I bought back in 2017?! What has this world come to? Gonna mention this in my other mobo thread lol.
Time to sell my ASUS ROG Strix Nvidia 1080 for like $600 AUS & that'd be the cheapest listing there!

Oh and by the way my new 11900K Silicon Lottery ?? PFFFFFFT!! ASUS SP rating of 50 LOL!! That's my luck for you, I think the lowest ASUS SP I've ever seen for an 11900K was 47. & it's not lying either geeze when I try the max advertised speed of 5.3GHz it literally starts melting & needs like 1.6 - 1.7 Vcore voltage to hit 5.3GHz which makes a petty Intel XTU CPU Stress test (no AVX) thermal throttle & power throttle as my temps hit like in the 90's INSTANTLY with my Noctua D15"S".
I mean granted my UEFI could most probably be tuned better as there's SO MUCH settings I know nothing about but just out of the box plugged in with Intel ABT & ASUS MCE enabled with ofcourse XMP enabled = crazy hotness high voltage. I turned off Intel's ABT for now as it keeps setting my clocks to 5.3GHz, so I manually set all cores to 4.8GHz for now which I've manually set to suck around 1.4V.

Anyways I won't go into the 11900K too much as my brother's old PC is ****-house so I'm giving him the 11900K & am waiting on my pre-ordered 12900K which is ETA end of November.
Hopefully I get a decent silicon lottery this time but then again probably not lol.

I'll update if anyone's bored.

Back