• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to see how far my x800se can go (killing it is OK!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kswaid

I recently hooked my x800se up to the watercooling loop to try higher clocks. What I didn't realize was that the shim around the gpu is raised higher off of the card than is the GPU. This caused the core to overheat because of lack of contact, and it now artifacts badly. :bang head This did not seem to hurt overclocking at all, so I would like to sacrifice my card to the gods of overclocking. I need some help finding out how to vmod and unlock pipes on this card. None of the guides I can find will work for the se, that is why I need some help. Just so you know, I plan on taking this card to the point of death to see just how much the x800se's actually have in them. I am going to take some pics of the board and core today and post them for reference. thanks for any help

Well I think a big volt mod & a good 172W Tec is in order or a 24v ~320W tec run at 12v. Once you deep freeze the card & run crazy voltage through it you should have some fun. Just remember that the tec will dump a good bit of heat into your loop but for the purposes of pushing a card, I think it'll be fine.

Well, I finally had the time this morning to check out the core a bit. When I did I noticed something, a laser cut. But, instead of being in the usual place it was opposite that. I will illustrate:

imagine this is the 4 contact point on the upper right side of the gpu:

. .

. .

on the x800pro's, there is a laser cut here that can be bridged for 16 pipes (i am pretty sure, but not certain)

. .
-
. .

on my x800se, the cut is here (ignore the `, it is just a placeholder)
. .
`-
. .

So, I decided to whip out the conductive paint pen and bridge it. Cleaned it up, put the silencer back, and started the computer back up.

Everything worked the same as usual, meaning some artifacting because of aforementioned overheating. Then I opened up rivatuner to check the number of pipes, and I got a little surprise. It read as having not 12 or 16 as I had hoped, but 4 pipelines :( . So, if you see this laser cut on your card don't touch it. I'm going to remove the conductive paint and try something else as soon as this is posted. Hopefully some good news will be coming.

Don't remove it just yet. Your computer doesn't recognize it as the same card. Reinstal your drivers and you will get either 12 or 16 pipes. This scared me too when I did my softmod.

Only thing is after heat damage on a core like that the card won't come close to what it's original potential was. Trust me I know ;)

That's what I thought, but after the heat damage my max overclock at stock voltage stayed within 5mhz. It probably did hurt high voltage oc'ing though.

Btw, been to busy to mess with it, but after i get off work in 2 hours I'll slap 'er in there.

Alright, I got off work early early. Just slapped the card back in, used DCPro to wipe the drivers, and reinstalled. Sadly, rivatuner still says I have 4 pipelines. Guess it's time to try to un-mod it.

alright, just finished testing with 4 pipelines. Sadly, these results are on air because my heater core was damaged during moving to school. System was same as listed in sig, but with memory at 210, and proc at 2.4.

results in 3dmark05 (I used this because it is so GPU dependent):

stock- 425/350 : 1209 3dmarks :(

Max stable OC - 540/390 : 1494 3dmarks :(

I will now go about trying to reverse the mod and run some 8 pipe benches.

Darn from the title " want to see how far my x800 can go " i was hoping you were going to shoot it out of a cannon or catapult... :)

Calidan said:
Darn from the title " want to see how far my x800 can go " i was hoping you were going to shoot it out of a cannon or catapult... :)

That will be coming soon enough. I was personally planning on using a new rail gun design I thought of that is made from old HDD magnets. ;)

kswaid said:
That will be coming soon enough. I was personally planning on using a new rail gun design I thought of that is made from old HDD magnets. ;)
Make sure to get plenty of pics and put it in the hardware destruction thread.

Alright, more bad news. I have been very busy for the past few days, so didn't get much done. After quite a bit of work, I am still unable to get back to 8 pipes. So, it's voltmod time! Checking out some schematics and guides right now.

Back