• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just trying to get opinions for a new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You don't want SLI. What are you trying to do with the GPU. 1060 is really in the territory that unless you're trying to play specifically games that are old but not that old. You already discussed that newer processors can playback 8k. If you were going to build an earlier gen TR system then yes you'd need some kind of GPU in that line, but it wouldn't make sense to buy it before.

I might not be understanding your post from this AM, but did you just buy a motherboard and ram? I'm confused because you later posted that you're not buying anything until Jan/Feb. If you just want to have a dual CPU as a hobby/because you always wanted it, then go for it, but it's not going to be the best move in the long run, especially not on a budget.

Honestly, if you go used I could see a TR working well, but going new it looks like a a 13700 based DDR4 build will be the most affordable way to getting 16 cores (granted not all of them have the same punch, so that is something to consider). It's a little cheaper than the 5950x system I roughed in on PC part picker and doesn't need a GPU. If you did go with an AMD based system, a 7950x system using the iGPU is still less expensive than a 5950x system with a GPU.

You don't want SLI. What are you trying to do with the GPU. 1060 is really in the territory that unless you're trying to play specifically games that are old but not that old. You already discussed that newer processors can playback 8k. If you were going to build an earlier gen TR system then yes you'd need some kind of GPU in that line, but it wouldn't make sense to buy it before.

I might not be understanding your post from this AM, but did you just buy a motherboard and ram? I'm confused because you later posted that you're not buying anything until Jan/Feb. If you just want to have a dual CPU as a hobby/because you always wanted it, then go for it, but it's not going to be the best move in the long run, especially not on a budget.

Honestly, if you go used I could see a TR working well, but going new it looks like a a 13700 based DDR4 build will be the most affordable way to getting 16 cores (granted not all of them have the same punch, so that is something to consider). It's a little cheaper than the 5950x system I roughed in on PC part picker and doesn't need a GPU. If you did go with an AMD based system, a 7950x system using the iGPU is still less expensive than a 5950x system with a GPU.
Okay well I am keeping this one around too, but how would this be so far?

and probably an Asus board of some type.

Of course it's probably overkill for what i usually want.
Wrong board though at second look.

What is with all the AM4 boards???

??

Edit; Only need a good board for mostly encoding and I have read much about 8k,. no real need for that anyways.

AMD Socket sTRX4 for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper Series Desktop Processors did not see that. LOL.

Last edited:

If I want to go Threadripper advice me.

If you want to go Threadripper...don't. It's obsolete for the core counts you're looking at. I should clarify that threadripper uses a different socket than AM4, so AM4 boards won't work on it. It will give you more PCIe lanes and 4 memory channels, so unless you need 20+ cores or those, then it is a waste of money. I remember someone walking out of Microcenter with a 1900x platform for very little money a while back, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Recommendations changing from 12c to 16c. I just can't imagine paying over $200 for a first generation Zen part. The memory controller, core to core latency, edit: power usage, and instructions per clock (IPC) have improved so much. The 5900x goes for under $300 and by the time you pay the difference in board price you will have saved money. The screenshot I have included below is from aggregated (and overclocked) user data and not considered to be particularly accurate. I am using it only to show, in general, the kind of performance delta seen between something like the 1920x and the most recent releases, and only because finding such a specific benchmark over such a significant time delta would be difficult or impossible.

bot.jpg

If you want to go Threadripper...don't. It's obsolete for the core counts you're looking at. I should clarify that threadripper uses a different socket than AM4, so AM4 boards won't work on it. It will give you more PCIe lanes and 4 memory channels, so unless you need 20+ cores or those, then it is a waste of money. I remember someone walking out of Microcenter with a 1900x platform for very little money a while back, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Recommendations changing from 12c to 16c. I just can't imagine paying over $200 for a first generation Zen part. The memory controller, core to core latency, edit: power usage, and instructions per clock (IPC) have improved so much. The 5900x goes for under $300 and by the time you pay the difference in board price you will have saved money. The screenshot I have included below is from aggregated (and overclocked) user data and not considered to be particularly accurate. I am using it only to show, in general, the kind of performance delta seen between something like the 1920x and the most recent releases, and only because finding such a specific benchmark over such a significant time delta would be difficult or impossible.

View attachment 362472
Someone on here mentioned things going obsolete so maybe my focus should still be on my original plan, as I could maybe get this, https://www.newegg.com/asus-ws-c621...-family/p/N82E16813119064?Item=9SIAFJ8A1A7270

Once the prices come down some more, then I could build one. Also I might just by then, which will be probably January or February as I plan to not buy anything else from Aaron's at least until I need something. I really want to build a new server, even if it's obsolete by that point. Starting with air cooling and if I really want to overclock in the future, hold back on water.

It is in a way like ignoring you guys advice, but my hopes are that it does become obsolete and maybe cheaper when something new hits the market. I will be working on getting this system working better until then, and once things are cheaper, then go for it.

I like getting things after they have become obsolete as usually prices come down then.

I really want to build a new server, even if it's obsolete by that point
When you build your new system, make it your server too. There's no reason you can't.

I like getting things after they have become obsolete as usually prices come down then.
I'd call that Sage board and the chips it uses pretty obsolete already, bud. I don't imagine the price to drop a lot on these to be honest. Even at $400 the Sage and a $200 CPU from that generation will get run out the door by a modern system....

I'm curious, what do YOU actually do with "servers" that you want to build one? Apologies for being blunt, but it feels like you're more attracted to keywords like 'server', but really have no use for one. Whatever you're doing you can accomplish it with a modern setup. Obsolete configs are cool to play with, but woefully inefficient both productivity, cost, and in power-use. Makes no sense for someone in your situation (extremely limited budget).

I think it's best to talk a lot closer to when you're building. 6 months is forever in the PC world. Between that and the waffling across multiple threads, there's little point in fleshing it out now. Maybe in January when you're ready to buy?

Last edited:
When you build your new system, make it your server too. There's no reason you can't.
That is good.

I'd call that Sage board and the chips it uses pretty obsolete already, bud. I don't imagine the price to drop a lot on these to be honest. Even at $400 the Sage and a $200 CPU from that generation will get run out the door by a modern system....
I am sure that's true.

I'm curious, what do YOU actually do with "servers" that you want to build one? Apologies for being blunt, but it feels like you're more attracted to keywords like 'server', but really have no use for one. Whatever you're doing you can accomplish it with a modern setup. Obsolete configs are cool to play with, but woefully ineffiecient both productivity and power use-wise. .
Video editing and encoding. I like the flexibility of two CPUs for some reason. That and the multitasking it can do. Even if something else is better, I am just use to having servers at this point.

I think it's best to talk a lot closer to when you're building. 6 months is forever in the PC world. Between that and the waffling across multiple threads, there's little point to flesh it out now. Maybe in January when you're ready to buy?
Yes 6 months is a long time, I have high hopes some CPUs will come down by then.
4K is not priority anyways, and I don't even have a 4K screen to hook up to.
I feel that it will be good for 1080P processing.

Other then that, I am fixing what I already have until I can get my new build.

Video editing and encoding. I like the flexibility of two CPUs for some reason. That and the multitasking it can do. Even if something else is better, I am just use to having servers at this point.
I think you're just horny for the word "server," in your head as there's nothing you've said that even hints at needing one. It's your money. If you want to spend it on fixing the ancient machine you have, leaving less for something new when you've saved enough money, go for it. I can't wrap my head around that logic. I'd rather save and get the best I can afford instead of constantly just 'getting by'.

Let's talk in January when you're ready to build. :)

Back