• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can this 9700pro be fixed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

hi.. i got a 9700 pro from a guy that sold it to me cheap.. well that was a little to cheap and when i plugged it in i get all sorts of shiny sweet artifacts on the screen. is there a way to fix it?

i thought:
- reflash the bios
- change heatsink
- slam it against the wall

the 2 first things sound good but i have a feeling i`ll end up with option 3

thanks

Tell him to take it back. Or did you know it was broken? Try underclocking it.. remount the HSF, check the card for burn marks, ect. If all else fails, overclock it. I mean you might as well clock it until it burns out. What have you got to lose? A broken video card?

I would first try flashing the BIOS to a stock one (in case he flashed it to a way oc BIOS), and if that doesn work, I would simply try lowering the clocks until no artifacts show up. This all assuming you knew it was broken. If you didn't know, I would definitly give him a ring and ask for your money back.

Does the HS make proper contact with the core? maybe try to underclock it (if possible at all).

And yeah, get back to the guy about it.

i removed the heatsink... put on some AS5 and put the HT back.. its still a little loose, i mean you can shift it slighly...

the card is ATI... what BIOS should i flash it to?

the guy well he doesnt answer the phone (go figure :))

i`lll make the best out of it :p

where did you buy it from?? If you didn't know it was broke when you bought it i would get my money back asap. No reason to be wasting your time when you got ripped off.

its built by ati, is it still covered under any warranties? i had an ati 9700 pro that started putzing out on me with the artifacts and such, so i sent it to ati, and they sent me a new 9800 pro :)

EgoFumPapa said:
its built by ati, is it still covered under any warranties? i had an ati 9700 pro that started putzing out on me with the artifacts and such, so i sent it to ati, and they sent me a new 9800 pro :)

He has removed the heat sink and applied and different termal paste, so i doubt ATi would take it.

hmm.. bummer. i would probably go with slamming it against the wall as the best option then. or you could eat it. i must say, ive never eaten a video card before. it would be interesting. try it and post the results

Back