• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI NF4 -- I'm tired of DFI now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's funny...I think it likes my PC power and cooling 510. I actually was going to suggest PSU earlier when reading over the symptoms but saw OCZ in the sig and figured that was not the case. Although if I remember correctly there were some serious issues with the initial few batches of the 600w; I'm not sure what issues still remain. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I thought the problem arising from component swapping seemed somewhat odd as I have installed and re-installed my GFX, audigy 2, and mobo multiple times without problem. It is good to hear you have this sorted out, and also that the DFI board may not have been to blame. I was planning on upgrading the GFX card soon as well as a 2 x 1 gig Ballistics kit and all this talk, as I stated earlier, makes me reconsider doing so.

Last edited:
This is only the second time I have heard that the DFI doesn't like PC Power and Cooling; both times it was mentioned by secondary sources. However, I think the problem with the Seasonic 600 watt is pretty well documented...problem arises because of high current draw on 5 v line due to the 5 volt mem. jumper being utilized if I remember correctly. If anyone would like to elaborate on the issues between DFI board and PCP&C I would appreciate it; I have had no problems.

I didn't mention earlier, but I had moved the vdimm jumper from the 5v jumper position back to the default position, so it wasn't the vdimm issue.

Super Nade said:
Funny how everybody speaks of OCZ's relaibility, but I am YET to see one single Bluestorm AX500-A die on somebody :)

Mine is working beautifully :)

I am also interested in the DFI vs PCP&C problem. First I have heard of it.

I guess I have to RMA this OCZ psu... I wonder how long it'll take?

After two buggy DFI mobos, I picked up the Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra. Put my system together and haven't looked back since. DFI suxor in my opinion. The options look nice, but in the end, the boards are royal pieces of poop.

That's an NF4 mobo?

I may just do the same... we'll c.

Crazy trip g0dM@n, Cool you resolved your issue but seems odd its the psu and it works when u jumper it off of ground. I'll keep this as a lesson taught even a psu that seems to work doesn't.

i would check to see if the ocz psu will boot in another system.take the whole thing out of the system and unplug everything from it. and then take a paper clip and put one in of it into the green wire that hooks to the motherboard (the 24 pin) and put the other end of the paperclip into a black one (a ground wire) and push the power on the psu. if it turns on, i would check the rails with a meter. if not, then it is surly your problem. glad u figured it out. :)

EvilCloudStrife said:
i would check to see if the ocz psu will boot in another system.take the whole thing out of the system and unplug everything from it. and then take a paper clip and put one in of it into the green wire that hooks to the motherboard (the 24 pin) and put the other end of the paperclip into a black one (a ground wire) and push the power on the psu. if it turns on, i would check the rails with a meter. if not, then it is surly your problem. glad u figured it out. :)

I already tried that, and I put a load on it too with 2 hard drives, a dvd rom, and a floppy and the rails were rock solid and working. I put it back to my DFI board and again... only split-second cranks.

g0dM@n said:
I already tried that, and I put a load on it too with 2 hard drives, a dvd rom, and a floppy and the rails were rock solid and working. I put it back to my DFI board and again... only split-second cranks.

WHAT! now that is crazy man.. i dont get it.... what the heck.. im clueless.. i dont know if it really is the PSU after all, but you could try the RMA. maybe the motherboard really is flakey or something.. this doesnt make any sense at all.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

EvilCloudStrife said:
WHAT! now that is crazy man.. i dont get it.... what the heck.. im clueless.. i dont know if it really is the PSU after all, but you could try the RMA. maybe the motherboard really is flakey or something.. this doesnt make any sense at all.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

If the motherboard boots fine with another PSU, then the board is fine.

deception``

I'm on the DFI board right now, with a Thermaltake 420watt hooked up to it. I hope I don't kill this PSU tho... then again, it was only $40. This PSU seems to hold up REALLY well. 12.12v dmm reading, and when I superPI it drops to 12.04 and stays solid at that. This is at 298x9 with 1.6v, 3.2vdimm at 223mhz 2-2-2-6, an X850XT, DVD-Rom, burner, 4x120mm deltas, D5 pump, rheobus fan controller and a bunch of fans. :)

I love this thermaltake PSU.

Damn, I'm rather impressed with this PSU... I always was, but man do these PSUs rock for the price.

The OCZ still gives me the same BS. Btw, you guys wanna see the "change" that I made to my system before all of these problems happened?

I had a similar problem(split second cranks) a year or so ago but with an old socket a mobo. I just changed the vc and I had the same problems you did-fans turning for only a split second, and had to unplug then plug the power cord for it to semi-start again... I never really got to figure out what the problem was... I changed the psu with a brand new one, figuring it was power-related, and same thing happens... I then bought a new board and tested the old psu and it worked fine with all the old parts swapped and everything... It was really really odd...

g0dM@n ,I'm glad you got your mobo back up and running again and I wonder how many people have had this happen to them...

I had a similar problem. I was testing for artifacts and accidentally clicked on set clocks in ATI tools to stock settings and my screen fux'd up and then the screen came up when its rebooting except I could hear my friends on ventrilo still and windows reappeared without ever rebooting. It was the wierdest thing thats ever happened to me. Anyways I shut down my computer and it wouldn't turn back on. I got real mad and took my gfx card out and put it back in the next day and it worked. When i shut my computer down that night it wouldn't turn back on. I got it to turn back on by using the 2nd monitor port. Then I shut it down again and I had to use the 2nd PCIE slot. Then it just wouldn't turn on anymore so I RMA'd it. I hope I just didn't waste shipping money for a gfx card that didn't need it.

God, can you humour me for a second here. Please hook up the vid card to the OCZ and try it...
Make sure you are hooking it up into the same molex you did before.

tae_moh said:
I had a similar problem(split second cranks) a year or so ago but with an old socket a mobo. I just changed the vc and I had the same problems you did-fans turning for only a split second, and had to unplug then plug the power cord for it to semi-start again... I never really got to figure out what the problem was... I changed the psu with a brand new one, figuring it was power-related, and same thing happens... I then bought a new board and tested the old psu and it worked fine with all the old parts swapped and everything... It was really really odd...

g0dM@n ,I'm glad you got your mobo back up and running again and I wonder how many people have had this happen to them...

I had this same problem last night. I opened up my sig rig to clean the dust out because one of the fans was making some strange noises. I blew it all out and hooked it back up and nothing. The fans would spin for a second then nothing. I was about to give up and I tipped my case back up, verticle, and it fired right up. I said some thank you prayers put the cover back on and decided I would never turn it off again. :)

My powersupply is almost sure to blame. It is a FSP 350 or something like that. It has a fan in it that is rheostat controlled but it does not work anymore.. .the fan or the rheostat.

Few things are more frustrating than a computer that looks like it wants to start but won't quite make it.

Flip-Mode said:
God, can you humour me for a second here. Please hook up the vid card to the OCZ and try it...
Make sure you are hooking it up into the same molex you did before.
I think I already tried that, but I will again tonight.

The vcard requires the 6-pin pci-e plug to it. If I jump the PSU and turn it on while ONLY hooked up to the vcard I don't see how that'll work. The vcard won't turn out without being plugged into a mobo that is turned on, will it? I think it gets most of its power from the mobo itself.

So you're saying PSU outa the case, vcard outa the case... hook up the PSU to the vcard and jump the PSU that way?

Yeah, my theory is that for some reason the new fan is shorting out the PSU. It can be that the specific molex coming from the PSU is screwed and you have simply never tested it before I don't know its just all fishy.

Back