• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debating on Purchase deal (involving the D 820)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xerotheory

Registered
Well through my job, I have an offer through Intel for a Pentium D 820, an intel mobo, Windows Xp Pro, Photoshop Elements, and Adobe Premier Elements for a total package price of $214.

Im wondering what I should do. Should i keep the package, sell the intel motherboard, buy a good overclocking motherboard and overclock the 820? Or should I sell the bundle and then buy an A64 combo.

Im mainly going to be using it for gaming. Mainly heavy gaming of WoW, Source games, and most likely FEAR.

Also if i do keep it, whats a good overclocking motherboard, and ram. Ill be using by xp90 for cooling.

So help me out here guys.

Last edited:
that's a great deal right there. if i was in your shoes i'd buy it, sell the motherboard and the software and keep the 820. for motherboard and ram you have to decide if you want ddr1/agp or ddr2/pci-e. the ones that mix them are garbage. for ddr1/agp the abit as8 seems to be the way to go, for ddr2/pci-e the p5wd2-p is the best ocing board. for ddr2 ram the bottom line is that the pqi in my sig is the best value.

Wow, that is a good deal. I'd just keep the chip and sell the other stuff. Unless you have a need for photoshop. You should be able to make enough money to buy a motherboard.

What about performance in the above mentioned games? How far will overclocking help me? And for that matter how far do you think I can push it?

Also, I currently have an AI7 with a 2.4 @ 3.1, 1gig pc4000 hyper x, and an x800xl.

I can switch to pci e but then i would have to buy additional ram and a video card (x850xt for 240 from the same purchase program deal). So total i would probably be spending $214 for package - 200 or so i can get for everything besides proc + 100 for new mobo +200 for 1gig of ddr2 + 300 for video, which means if i do switch to pci e i would be spending 600 for the entire thing really. Not sure if it is worth it.

Last edited:
An 820 for $214 is a good deal. I am correct when I read you work for Intel right? Well isn't the price for a 820 through intel's empoley shop just under $200? Why not just buy just the 820 and then a ASUS P5WD2-P.

I don't work for intel, i work for a retaileer that supplies intel products, and through some quizes and training i am able to buy the package and just the package, so sadly i can't buy the proc alone.

xerotheory said:
I don't work for intel, i work for a retaileer that supplies intel products, and through some quizes and training i am able to buy the package and just the package, so sadly i can't buy the proc alone.

Oh ok. Buy teh package then. If you decided agianst it then you can just turn around and sell everything on ebay for a marginal profit.

crimedog said:
that's a great deal right there. if i was in your shoes i'd buy it, sell the motherboard and the software and keep the 820. for motherboard and ram you have to decide if you want ddr1/agp or ddr2/pci-e. the ones that mix them are garbage. for ddr1/agp the abit as8 seems to be the way to go, for ddr2/pci-e the p5wd2-p is the best ocing board. for ddr2 ram the bottom line is that the pqi in my sig is the best value.

The AS8 can support the new Intel dual-core chips?

I did a search and could not find any other posts backing this up. If this is true it opens up a whole new realm of options for me in upgrading my second rig.

AS8 does not support Dual Core. Dual cores are only on 945/955X chipsets.

Thats a good deal and a great cpu. Buy it and get an asus P5WD2. With your heatsink and a good fan you will get 3.6GHz out of that cpu. I mean come on....Windows XP Pro + an 820 for $214. You can't do better then that.

Back