• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best drivers for 9800XT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm....tried the latest drivers and dropped from 6773 to 4091 in 3DMark03. So, I'll have to try something else instead. If anyone knows of a good version, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

Heh, forgot to uninstall the old ones first. After I did that, I get 6737 in 3DMark03. That'll work for now, hopefully after I get the CPU and memory that I want (if I can ever find it) my score will go up a bit. Thanks for all the advice.

Heh, tried that, it only runs slightly above stock (415/370), any higher and it artifacts. It's because of heat, runs at almost 175°F. On stock cooling it ran at over 200°F. It's not a defective card, as I already returned it for another when I first got it and noticed the 200+ temps and occasional artifacts at stock speeds. The fact that my case (same as yours) has poor airflow doesn't help, even after I switched out the stock fans. I could try higher flowing fans to keep the case temperature down below 115°, but that's difficult when the ambient temp in the room often exceeds 100°, and the Vantec Tornado I use on the CPU makes enough noise as it is. Maybe one of these days I'll move into a place with air conditioning.

b1029384756 said:
Heh, tried that, it only runs slightly above stock (415/370), any higher and it artifacts. It's because of heat, runs at almost 175°F. On stock cooling it ran at over 200°F. It's not a defective card, as I already returned it for another when I first got it and noticed the 200+ temps and occasional artifacts at stock speeds. The fact that my case (same as yours) has poor airflow doesn't help, even after I switched out the stock fans. I could try higher flowing fans to keep the case temperature down below 115°, but that's difficult when the ambient temp in the room often exceeds 100°, and the Vantec Tornado I use on the CPU makes enough noise as it is. Maybe one of these days I'll move into a place with air conditioning.

try putting AS5 on it. with stock hsf and AS5 my 9800pro clocked to 325/385

Chrome- said:
Are the Omega drivers any good at all? Better than Catalyst?

Usually, Omega optimizes his drivers to give a slight IQ boost, with little or no performance hit. Usually not the best for benchmarking, but good for games.

Yuriman said:
Usually, Omega optimizes his drivers to give a slight IQ boost, with little or no performance hit. Usually not the best for benchmarking, but good for games.

Sounds good. I'll give them a shot.

TheGreySpectre said:
try putting AS5 on it. with stock hsf and AS5 my 9800pro clocked to 325/385

Already did that, when I put an ATI Silencer 3 on it. I'll give the Omega 5.6 drivers a shot, thanks.

Back