• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Detective

I know this subject might have been covered many times however I just want to be 100% certain before I go ahead and make a purchase.

I am looking for a laptop that will be used by most of my family and naturally I want value for money. With that in mind I have my eye on models that sport the Pentium M 725 and Intel 915 chipset with a view to doing the wire mod to run at 533FSB.
The two models in question I have narrowed down to are the Dell Inspiron 6000 series and the Acer 3210 series.
In case anyone is wondering why I have narrowed it down to these two, it is based on perceived value. Both are the equivalent of under USD850 here in Malaysia and provide dual layer dvd burners and half a gig of memory as free upgrades.

Firstly I notice both models state that the DDR2 used is DDR400 so does that pose a problem running at 533Mhz FSB - or is the memory automatically downclocked to 400 via the use of dividers. (Apologies I am primarily an AMD man so not up to speed on Intel workings!).
Secondly if a divider is used are there any performance issues?
Thirdly both use Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 and I am just wondering how this compares to mobility graphics cards? There will be some gaming done on it but nothing that is too graphics intensive.

Thanks for any feedback from you guys ITK.

well i have the Acer 1690 and love it i also have OCed it to 533FSB and i am still using the mem that came with it and it is running fine it also has integrated graphics and have ben able to play a few games on it and it has ben good.
the dell i cant say i dont know anyone that has one or has used one

Thanks for the feedback - I checked on the Dell site and although the main page states 400Mhz DDR2 when you go to the customise page its states the memory is actually 533Mhz DDR2 so hopefully this is actually a non issue for both Dell and Acer.

This then just leaves the integrated graphics, Rpkole as a frame of reference, what type of games did you play on the Acer?

The memmory controller on the 915 chipset has it's own crystal and it's own PLL which will run the memmory at the memmory's rated speed... the FSB speed does not make a difference on the memmory speed...

intel has beefed up their integrated graphics a bit... it now has 4 pipelines (woo hoo) instead of the old integrated graphics which only had 1 pipeline which should be nuff to run basic games (direct x8 or lower) just fine... it should be able to handle dx9 games too but usually it is too slow.

Back