• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron D max voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

Fellow member Stratcatprowlin is sending me a 2.66ghz Celeron D 330. I have a Pentuim 4 2.0ghz @ 2.50ghz at 1.600v. I no not to go over that because of reports of SNDS. What voltages do stock Celly D's operate in and what is the max i should operate it at?

The Prescotts have variable default vcore depending on the individual processor. Generally they average mid 1.3v, but can be anywhere between 1.3 to 1.4v. Most Prescott CPUs can probably handle more voltage than your motherboard's power crcuitry. It also depends on cooling. I would probably consider somewhere about 1.45v a safe max. If you sink the mosfets on the IC7 and have good case cooling (see the cooling links in my signature), then you might get up to 1.5v, but I consider that absolute max for socket 478 motherboards.

Would the new celeron stress my mobo? Because right now my mosfets dont even get warm or any of the surface mount components. I have never seen or played around with a pressy so i wouldnt know.

Fortunately, the Celeron D will stress systems less and tend to run a tad cooler than the Prescott P-4 due to less cache and fewer transistors. The IC7 is the best socket 478 motherboard for Prescotts, but remember there was no socket 478 motherboard power circuitry that was actually designed for overclocking Prescotts. This won't be a problem as long as you don't get carried away with voltage. Like I said, vcore up to 1.45v is fine as long as you have adequate case ventilation. With some minor modding and a little better cooling, you can push to 1.5v if you are hardcore. Certainly, 1.4v is a piece of cake. Try that first and see how high you can go. Check temps to see if you have any headroom. Mosfets are basically the PWM temps.

I dont think my mobo has a PWM sensor. On mbm5 it does have power/aux but i dont know were that leads to.

All CPUs are different when it comes to handling vcore so start low and work your way up. In my own experience I got the best overclocks with less than stock vcore from some CPUs on air cooling, since these CPUs get really hot.
There aren't that many vcore levels, so take your time to try them out.

Also, read batboy's article here, it's really important for the 478 boards. (I've burnt out one myself)
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1179/

Don't know about MBM5, but if you install Hardware Doctor off the Abit install CD, that will give you PWM temps.

what power/aux thing is the PWM. So are these temps off? Because on the IC7 temps are off on my cpu by 12 degrees. Does that problem only affect the cpu probe?

Back