• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My GF Wants.........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

Ok another question in the proper section. My new GF does video encoding only and because she does that alone should she buy an 820 and o/c it or get the 630 and o/c that instead? She says she will go big time next year when she expands her business. I say the 820 because the dual core will work very well for her work. Also because the 820 can o/c higher on air. I've read all the sucess you all have had with the 6xx series GJ to you all.

Shelnutt2 said:
I would say what for presley in a few months.
agreed, also overclocking isnt really recommended in the business field. i personally wouldnt do this if my business revolved around computers (ie. video editing). imagine editing a whole movie, and then BAM! BSOD. :bang head sucks, dont it? my 2 cents.

I would get a very cost effective P-4 with H/T...Dual core is over kill if all she does is encoding. . .

For encoding, Intel is still king. But, you mentioned in the first post about a 820 overclocking more than a 630. It's the other way around. But, you don't want to O/C too much for a business system. A modest O/C is fine, but stay with low voltages for best stability. Unless this system will be seeing heavy multi-thread apps, I say a nice 630 running at 250 FSB with PC2-5400 RAM running at the 3:4 ratio would be perfect. Budget a little extra for cooling. Also, for encoding, slap in a couple large capacity SATA harddrives.

She/I was thinking at least 2 500Gb HDDs. No we werent thinking about an all out o/c just a little bump with room to spare so she can game with me as well.

You are better off the longer you can wait, but if you're building now, I would just get the 630.

Being a business situation where time and stability are of the essence, dual core will fit the bill. I don't know what kind of encoding she does or what programs she uses but Divx and Xvid are getting better with dual core. So if time is money and she plans to make a living at this then go dual core with a mild overclock.

As others have pointed out, Pressler is just around the corner so if you can wait 1-2 months that will be the way to go. But if it is must have today then get an 820D and do pressler later.

OC'ing ok

I run a 540J chip. As you may know that is 3.2ghz. I do video work constantly. I love it. What can I say. I do absolutely all my video work at a Daily clock of 4315 mhz. Not so much as a single glitch!! of any kind. It renders video FAST!! I currently only have 512megs 2 x 256 of G.Skill 4400 LE
I am getting more. I have an excellent liquid cooling system that Never lets my processor go above 26C even when I am benching at 4660MHZ!! IF i were her I would get the 6xx but, I would get the 640. You can find them at a great price point. They are fast right out of the box. And very smooth. I will tell you If you get the dual core I would go with the 840 there also. You will be happy with either!! What board does want to use? What case? I have found if you put the fresh air the case correctly it really helps you HSF to do it's job. Let us know what you guys come up with.

WZ

I'd second the idea that OCing a computer for such an imporant talk is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

I just built my 820 setup, I mainly use it for video encoding/editing. I have it Oc'ed up to 4.0 on a cheap watercooling setup (aquagate 120) but run daily @ 3.7 1.4v. It beats my a64 @ 2.5 ghz all day long at this stuff. The setup was fairly cheap. $165 for the 820d on ebay, $96 for a refurbed asus p5ld2 $98 for wintec ampx 2x512 ddr2 675. $90 for aquagate 120 WC setup (easy to use, prebuilt and sealed, self contained, idiot proof watercooling).

It easily does 3.6 stable @ 1.3v which would not run hot enough to require watercooling. Great setup for video editing, combine it w/ a couple of raid 1 or raid 0 drives and she will see a magor difference if encoding/compression times.

I have in my possession a good 640 and a crappy 820D so I put together some quick comparisons. I don't know what kind of encoding she does or what programs she uses so I just used a couple of the more common ones.

I used Auto GordianKnot with Xvid 1.01 and Dvix 5.2 compressing a 650MB VOB file to 233MB AVI file. Encoding was basically 704X320, AC3 5.1 sound and 2 pass quality with ESS stand alone compatibility enabled. I used AutoGK to insure that all tests parameters were consistent.

I used the same mobo, drives and all that jazz, the only changes were CPU's and CPU settings. 820D @ 14X267(3738), 640 @ 14X267(3738), 640 @ 16X267(4272) are the CPU settings and with the 640 and 14 multi the C1 was enabled and EIST was minimum.

Here are the total times from start to finish including analyzing and 2 passes. Lower is better. mm:ss
Code:
           820D 14X267       640 14X267      640 16X267   
Xvid         9:47            12:39 (-29%)    11:09(-14%)
DivX         8:04            11:22 (-41%)    10:03(-25%)

I know the systems are overclocked but with the 820 and 640 at the same clocks and buss speeds the 820D has a fairly good advantage.

S_Wilson said:
I have in my possession a good 640 and a crappy 820D so I put together some quick comparisons. I don't know what kind of encoding she does or what programs she uses so I just used a couple of the more common ones.

I used Auto GordianKnot with Xvid 1.01 and Dvix 5.2 compressing a 650MB VOB file to 233MB AVI file. Encoding was basically 704X320, AC3 5.1 sound and 2 pass quality with ESS stand alone compatibility enabled. I used AutoGK to insure that all tests parameters were consistent.

I used the same mobo, drives and all that jazz, the only changes were CPU's and CPU settings. 820D @ 14X267(3738), 640 @ 14X267(3738), 640 @ 16X267(4272) are the CPU settings and with the 640 and 14 multi the C1 was enabled and EIST was minimum.

Here are the total times from start to finish including analyzing and 2 passes. Lower is better. mm:ss
Code:
           820D 14X267       640 14X267      640 16X267   
Xvid         9:47            12:39 (-29%)    11:09(-14%)
DivX         8:04            11:22 (-41%)    10:03(-25%)

I know the systems are overclocked but with the 820 and 640 at the same clocks and buss speeds the 820D has a fairly good advantage.

was this program dual threaded?

With Divx6 the diference will be bigest betwen the two system in question. Go with 820.

I have been a 2cpu user for several years.And the Intel dual core line up is basicaly junk.It offers little improvement over there H/T chips and uses the same old technoligy as the Xeon platforms have been using for 2 years or so.

The 630 is around 170.00 retail and the 820 is 245.00 , To me if this is not going to be a dream rig build, saving the 75.00 is worth the minute or 2 you will save in encoding times.

Blackmage said:
was this program dual threaded?

There was a little left over, say 8-10% watching MBM5 usage which I know is not scientific by any stretch of the imagination. AutoGK does a pretty good job of exploiting the potential of dual cores and HT.

diehrd said:
I have been a 2cpu user for several years.And the Intel dual core line up is basicaly junk.It offers little improvement over there H/T chips and uses the same old technoligy as the Xeon platforms have been using for 2 years or so.

The 630 is around 170.00 retail and the 820 is 245.00 , To me if this is not going to be a dream rig build, saving the 75.00 is worth the minute or 2 you will save in encoding times.

Junk is a bit harsh, I think these processors have merit under the right circumstances just like any SMP or dual core system. Some of the technology may be old but it works.

My example was a small file but with larger or multiple files that time savings will grow. If a persons income depends on completing tasks as quick as possible then $75 doesn't mean much.

Back