• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Presler/Cedar Mill Overclocking & Issues Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im sellin my 830 on ebay..currently fetching 250 shipped with an hour to go, i will be ordering a 920 today :)
and report results back when i get mine!
cant wait to see what other peeps get...

BIG pressler issue... i killed it...

u forgott my [email protected] :eh?:

played a bit with it yesterday and i think i killed it :bang head

secured a 5ghz valid and screenshot, also 1M superpi @ 4.9 ghz..
can`t post pictures or url cause i havent got any system that can use my sata hdd... :rolleyes:

cant get the system to boot.. not even a post.. no beeps at all just black...

I am REALY ****ed right now.. how could i be so stupid... :mad:
think ill just go shoot my self...(joke..)

batboy said:
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

sooo many times... rebuildt the whole system.. moved the memory around..

Need another cpu/mb to see whats wrong.. could take some days...
need to wait for pay day..
Thinking about shipping mb and cpu to a guy i know and let him find out if it is the cpu ore mb... im praying it is the mb, but what is the probability... 0% :shrug:

I have been playing with a 955XE for the last couple of weeks and I think there are too many quick conclusions made here.

1. It's perfectly normal for Intel to stock up chips to a launch. I remembered buying a 630 as soon as they were available here (around feb 2005) and it was made 0438 which is quite early for the 2MB version.
What am I saying with this? I believe that Intel have been producing these chips for the last 5-6 month or so and in the beginning of a new series like this, the performance varies a lot, therefor a big difference in how the lowest and the highest CPUs overclock. (because of heavy binning in the beginning)
To be safe to get a good overclocking chip, go for a 955 or a 950 at least, or wait until the big retailers have run out of stock ones or twice so they might have newer chips/later production date.
(To return to my example: A friend of mine bought a 640 two months ago which overclocked like most 670 cpus do)
*EDIT* Sorry batboy, I missed your post, I'm writing about the exact thing that you wrote

2. We are talking about dual core CPUs, twice the things can go wrong. We also have twice the cache and ultimately: twice the heat (compared to cedarmill, not prescott)
There is a reason why these chips are released with a 3.46GHz part as the fastest one. They are really though to cool. Review sites have managed to get it to throttle at default speeds and default vcore and I have been able to do it myself too, inside a closed but ok ventilated chassi. I don't think these are intended to be able to run four instances of prime with stock cooling in a chassi, honestly.

I think it's a good thing to collect stats about how different chips overclock and I think it is a good idea to bring in the FPO/Batch codes in as well, so we might be able to see when the lower graded chips starts to overclock like the higher graded, and also which plants that produce the best chips.

Here's my contribution

955XE - L534 (Malay, week 34, 2005)
P5WD5 Premium

Stock cooler:
1.3v - 4GHz - can complete most benchmarks without trouble, will throttle with 4xPrime
1.3v - 4.32GHz - SuperPi 1M pass
Haven't played that much with the stock cooler, heat is a serious issue.

Watercooling
1.4v - 4.2GHz - 4xPrime stable for more than 1 hour
1.5v - 4.45GHz - 4xPrime stable
1.6v - 4.62GHz - 4xPrime for more than 1 hour.
as a side not here, the Watt-meter before my PSU showed 460W continuosly during this time, and over 500W when I started 3DMark05

Single stage unit (~-40C evap temp)
SuperPi 1M stable frequencies:
1.400 - 5090
1.450 - 5260
1.500 - 5344
1.525 - 5400
1.550 - 5450
1.575 - 5462
3DMark 03 stable @ 5200 with 1.550vcore

Cascade (~-100C evap temp)
SueprPi 1M stable
1.400 5360
1.450 5434
1.500 5544
1.550 5671
1.575 5733
1.600 5823
3DMark 03 stable @ 5400 with 1.500vcore (the cascade can't keep the temps long enough at 1.6v, higher speeds are definitely possible if you can keep the temps)

I don't like to speculate on how well these will overclock but they are definitely too hot for serious overclocking with air coolers if you ask me.

Last edited:
crotale said:
Cascade (~-100C evap temp)
SueprPi 1M stable
1.400 5360
1.450 5434
1.500 5544
1.550 5671
1.575 5733
1.600 5823

Sure, that's some extreme cooling but maaaan dual core nearly 6Ghz :drool:

Npvk_x - sorry to hear that - lets hope its the mobo! I think your CPU should be exactly the same as mines..

crotale - legend! Great table of results - how much juice did it pull at 5400 according to the watt meter - or did you not record it?

EDIT - my CPU pack date was in OCT 05....so they have been making for some time

markodude said:
crotale - legend! Great table of results - how much juice did it pull at 5400 according to the watt meter - or did you not record it?

EDIT - my CPU pack date was in OCT 05....so they have been making for some time

No, I didn't check it, but probably less because superpi doesn't load it as much as 4xPrime.

What FPO/Batch is that?
Packdate can be quite different from production week (FPO/Batch)

crotale mines is an ES.
I guess for SuperPi you would be as well using a 6x1 Cedar Mill proc on the cascade....

markodude said:
crotale mines is an ES.
I guess for SuperPi you would be as well using a 6x1 Cedar Mill proc on the cascade....
Mine too

True, and I'm working on it :cool:

Crotale - what were your temps like on water? and what sort of water kit were you using? im gonna be watercooling mine - and by the time these chips ever hit the uk i should have plenty of usa results to know which chip to get :D seriously, we'l be the last to get em :(

Asetek Antarctica block and 3x120 radiator.
Water temp: 29C
CPU temp according to AIBooster with this board: 58C
(hot is only the first name of this cpu)

Ouch!! I may have to seriously consider what il be able to have then, as my watercooling will have the cpu and my 7800gtx in the same loop.... my x2 [email protected] loaded at like 38*c (and it was after the gtx in the loop).... maybe single core would be easier for my cooling to deal with!

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Im definetly going to get a CedarMill .. I want to get away from the heatscene.
Absolutely! Thats why i sold my 830, my basement is a lot cooler since i replaced my 830 for a 650!!! :D

I am never above 55c with the case closed at 4ghz 1.3v, Zalman 7700Cu, about 34-35c idle - when I had it cooled with 1c air next to the window the CPU was 32c load, 19c idle.
It runs a lot cooler than the 840 which was about 48c idle and went up to 72c!

Back