• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell procs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exceed

What kind of procs do dells usually have. I have a dell p4 socket 478 and i am wanting to upgrade the mobo and possibly oc my proc a little bit, bit i dunno what kind it is. :bang head Its a 2.4 intel p4 according to everything, and like i said its a socket 478. 512 cache dunno if that will help, TTIA. :)

Sis sandra says its a p4n Northwood pentium4c, does this mean its a celeron? I know its stupid questions but atleast im at the right place to get anwsers. :shrug:

Last edited:
Dells use Intel Celeron - P4 processors. Your P4 isn't a Celeron if it says 2.4C (800fsb, 512k l2 cache) Good mobo would be an Abit AI7 or if you want the best of the best, Abit IC7-G Max II. Not sure if you can mount the Abit in your dell case, might as well get a new case while your at it ;).

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Dells use Intel Celeron - P4 processors. Your P4 isn't a Celeron if it says 2.4C (800fsb, 512k l2 cache) Good mobo would be an Abit AI7 or if you want the best of the best, Abit IC7-G Max II. Not sure if you can mount the Abit in your dell case, might as well get a new case while your at it ;).

I am getting a new case, dell cases sux :p, my proc is a 533 fsb proc. So Its just a plain ol intel p4?

you will also then need

New case - see your getting.
new PSU likely

it is a Pentium 4 B chip if it is a 533 FSB

Pentium 4 400FSB
Pentium 4 A Prescotts(1mb l2 cache)
Pentium 4 B 533 FSB
Pentium 4 C 800 FSB

u wont be able to put a retail mobo into a Dell case and the Dell PSU's sometimes are standard PSU's but often just barely enough to power their system.

Mr.Guvernment said:
you will also then need

New case - see your getting.
new PSU likely

it is a Pentium 4 B chip if it is a 533 FSB

Pentium 4 400FSB
Pentium 4 A Prescotts(1mb l2 cache)
Pentium 4 B 533 FSB
Pentium 4 C 800 FSB

u wont be able to put a retail mobo into a Dell case and the Dell PSU's sometimes are standard PSU's but often just barely enough to power their system.

Yeah i was having a problem just finding out the cpu type, its not a bad psu i got a extra hd and a 5700 ultra on it now and it runs it strong, but i just got a 6800 gs and i am wanting to oc my proc and mess around with it. Thanks for all the help guys.

Yep Dell cases and mobos are dell spec only.The same goes for the power supply,the only reason it works in the dell case is because dell cases have one fan only.If you plan to o/c get a case that has good airflow chars ans at least 4 fans. The 6800 series cards are hot plus o/c ing it and the cpu will put out alot of heat. The 2.4b in my sig is from my dell.

BigDan3131 said:
Yep Dell cases and mobos are dell spec only.The same goes for the power supply,the only reason it works in the dell case is because dell cases have one fan only.If you plan to o/c get a case that has good airflow chars ans at least 4 fans. The 6800 series cards are hot plus o/c ing it and the cpu will put out alot of heat. The 2.4b in my sig is from my dell.

Thanks for that info dan, what mobo are you running?

EDIT: For own stupidity. :rolleyes: Abit AI7

Where can i buy a Abit AI7, I cant find it on newegg, i usually use them. :bang head

abit AI7 is an older board, you may have some luck on ebay or finding a refurb somwhere for cheap.

Back