• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, this CCBBE is a letdown...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

Having a hell of a time with my CCBBE 0610DPMW here, first it wouldn't do anything above 2.5gHz with stock vcore, then I tried raising the vcore to 1.45 and trying 2.8gHz, prime failed within the first second or two on both cores. 2.7gHz won't prime at anything between 1.35v and 1.45v, although the lower I go, the longer it will last before failing. 2.6gHz is stable (at least for the 8 hours I was sleeping) at 1.4v, and I am currently running 2.65gHz at the same voltage.
Hmmmm... seem to remember having the same symptoms with my 148 when I got it, and it turned out to be due to heat. Definitely going to have to reapply my AS5, and make sure my Ninja is properly mounted. Temps aren't an issue coming in around the low twenties to high thirties, at least according to my temp sensor which probably is off by a good deal.
If that doesn't work... I don't know. Might have to make a decision as to whether I want to vend it on ebay, pop the lid, or finally move beyond air to a high end watercooling setup.
Damn, I seem to have the worst CCBBE out there so far, well aside from the guy who's CCBBE wouldn't pass prime at stock speeds...

What motherboard you running? I was having a few problems with mine with ram speed, after figuring that out I was able to EASILY get 2.5 with a stock winchester HS.

Havnt tryed any more then 2.6 till I get the typhoon hooked up.

dude that sucks.... risk amplifier, now even if i get the ccbbe theres a possibility of a weak OC? crud. lol

u sure ur eyes aren't deceiving u and its actually a CCBWE? lol just wondering.
"well aside from the guy who's CCBBE wouldn't pass prime at stock speeds..." that sucks

In any case, just keep tweaking, burn in may b. Iono, may b run fans and max speed. My opty 146 wouldn't do 3ghz until I changed my 120mm fan on my xp-90 to a 80mm fan and turned it at max speed.

The motherboard is a K-NF41 and I personally tested it up to 333mHz in preperation for this chip on my old 148.
As for ram, I have a set of G.Skill HZs that will do 270+ on this board as long as I run them at 2t.
Hopefully I won't have to pop the IHS just quite yet; my Ninja is already enough of a pain to mount with the IHS on, I don't even want to think about trying to engage all four of those clips on a bare core. I'd rather bite the bullet and buy a nice watercooling setup prior to giving my Opty the can opener treatment. But, if I can't hit at least 2.8 on this thing no matter the cooling, I will definitely pop the lid.
Well, my new 7900GTX should be here tomorrow and I might just immediately sell it and downgrade to a 7900GT so I can spend the extra $200 on some nice watercooling gear...

I was messing with mine today, 2.7 @ 1.4v
Didnt have to mess with the HT or anything yet.

I was having weird problems at around 48C, im sure water will cure that!

God, this CPU officially sucks the fat one!
So I reapplied AS5, remounted the CPU and made sure that everything was flush. Then I booted up my computer. I had been running 2653 at 1.4v for 12 hours, so I decided to try 2700 @ stock... two seconds in, it fails.
2700 @ 1.375 = Fail
2700 @ 1.4 = Fail!
2700 @ 1.425 = FAIL!!
2700 @ 1.45 = FAIL!!!11one

No luck whatsoever, the damn chip won't even prime past the first minute or two at any voltage.
I am very tempted to lobotomize the thing and run it lidless, but I am leery that the IHS may not be the problem although these symptoms certainly reek of overheating issues. Not to mention the fact that if I leave the lid on, I could probably vend it on eBay for more than I bought it for and buy another chip that will OC better for little or no loss.

Attachments

• TEHSUX!!!!11one.jpg
    TEHSUX!!!!11one.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 141
What's the highest overclock you can boot into?

Those claiming 3Ghz+ out of their 165 CCBBE 610s don't mention any stability testing. No superpi is not a good test!

Well, tomorrow I will know whether I am getting rid of this chip or not. My 7900GTX should be arriving, which will replace the PCI TNT2 I have installed currently. I'm going to reinstall Windows, and generally give it one last go before I come to a distinct conclusion.
These things are selling faster than Paris Hilton's undergarments on eBay, so I definitely have an out should I be so inclined...

Pump the volts up. ;) It took 1.58 to make my CCWBE to 2700mhz.

But don't pop the top. Not worth it on a crap CPU. You're better off selling it and trying another.

I don't doubt that others are getting very real results with these chips, I just think I got the Grrr of 0610DPMWs. I'm not going to be happy until I can run 2.8gHz at safe volts, and I'm nowhere even close to that on this chip. I doubt I will remove the IHS when I can be guaranteed another CCBBE or CCB1E as soon as I sell this dud. And if worse comes to worst, I should be making an extra $325-400 in the near future, which should be enough to fund a DFI Expert and decent watercooling loop...
I have a very distinct feeling that when the first ACXXX fx60s show up for reviews, they are going to be 0608s, 0610s or an as of yet unknown wunderchip. The same thing happened with the 0528-0536 chips, AMD was producing fx60s, and the rest of the line benefited as well.
Now AMD is trying to produce a 2.8gHz at stock dual core, and these 0608s and 0610s reflect that, they seem to be hitting around 2.7ish at stock volts, which probably indicates that AMD is saving the ones that actually do hit 2.8+ at stock.
I odn't think these are 185s that "happened" to be binned down, these are much more likely fx62s that didn't pass.
Well, we'll see soon enough what week code the first fx62s have when they show up in reviews.

The default speed for these chips is 1.8 GHz, right? Despite people reporting overclocks of 3.0+ GHz with these chips, how can one really be disappointed with 2.65 GHz, nearly a 50% overclock? A CPU "officially sucks the fat one" if it can't achieve 67% overclock?

Something else has to be the problem, unless the slight chance of a "bad" cpu, i've gotten mine up to 2.7 with 1.4v, after i ran into the heat issue which will be solved today.

KillrBuckeye said:
The default speed for these chips is 1.8 GHz, right? Despite people reporting overclocks of 3.0+ GHz with these chips, how can one really be disappointed with 2.65 GHz, nearly a 50% overclock? A CPU "officially sucks the fat one" if it can't achieve 67% overclock?

So I have high standards.
Yes, hitting 2.65 is a great speed, however this chips maxes out at that speed.
[email protected] = Pass, [email protected]+ = Fail.
Do you want to buy this chip off me?

I removed the IHS on my $526 X2 4400+ and when it died due to a mobo failure I just ate $526 because AMD would not replace it regardless of the fact that removing the IHS had absolutely nothing to do with the CPU failing. Personally, I will never, ever remove an IHS again- at least not on an expensive CPU. I will also never buy another AMD CPU after this computer is ready to be replaced. I know, I know- it's my fault for removing the IHS. However, AMD markets their product to the "enthusiast" crowd and I just feel like they are using their stupid warranty exclusions to not stand behind their product. Besides that, my Intel P4 has never, ever had a problem in the 3 years since I built it, while this high-end AMD system that I built has been nothing but a BSOD pain in the butt.

With all that said...My replacement CPU should be here from Monarch on Friday. I bought an Opty 165 on sale and hopefully this CPU will clock as high, or higher, than my X2 4400+ (which was a lousy overclocker)- 2700MHz 24 hour Prime stable.

If you feel that righteous about , stick the IHS back on I think they used a black polyutherane stuff like on a car windsheild.

That certainly is the risk of removing your IHS, but quite frankly you can't expect AMD or Intel to replace your lidless CPU no matter the reason it broke. They sold you a product that ran as rated, you chose to remove the heatspreader knowing that it would void your warranty with the intention of being able to overclock it higher, and it broke. Why it broke is not of issue; it broke and it is no longer covered under the warranty.
To put it into the often used "car analogy" terms:
If you bought a brand new car, rebuilt the bottom end, and three months down the line the engine seized because the stock turbo burnt through all the oil and you hadn't been regularly checking the oil levels, it doesn't matter why your engine is toast or whether rebuilding the bottem end had anything to do with the failure: the manufacturer is going to tell you "tough sh**, have fun buying a new engine!"

Good luck with the 165, hope you get one of the good ones from Monarch. Most of the current crop of 165s are hitting 2.7+, and even if you get a CCBWE you will probably be able to at least match your old 4400 in terms of overclocking.

futura2001 said:
So I have high standards.
Yes, hitting 2.65 is a great speed, however this chips maxes out at that speed.
[email protected] = Pass, [email protected]+ = Fail.
Do you want to buy this chip off me?
I am actually considering a 165, but it will have to be a Bday/Xmas gift since I don't have funds available. If you still have that chip in August, let me know. :santa: Given that my Asus A8N board isn't a phenomenal overclocker, I don't expect to get much more than 2.6 GHz in the first place. I'm still worried about the lack of a 10x divider on the 165, because the memory dividers don't seem to work on my mobo (I've been told it's a problem with Venice chips only, but I have no way to verify). If I can't use a memory divider, I'm looking at a max overclock of ~265x9 :( .

I also agree with your point about removing the IHS. Anyone doing this should not expect his/her CPU to be covered under warranty.

futura2001 said:
That certainly is the risk of removing your IHS, but quite frankly you can't expect AMD or Intel to replace your lidless CPU no matter the reason it broke. They sold you a product that ran as rated, you chose to remove the heatspreader knowing that it would void your warranty with the intention of being able to overclock it higher, and it broke. Why it broke is not of issue; it broke and it is no longer covered under the warranty.
To put it into the often used "car analogy" terms:
If you bought a brand new car, rebuilt the bottom end, and three months down the line the engine seized because the stock turbo burnt through all the oil and you hadn't been regularly checking the oil levels, it doesn't matter why your engine is toast or whether rebuilding the bottem end had anything to do with the failure: the manufacturer is going to tell you "tough sh**, have fun buying a new engine!"

Good luck with the 165, hope you get one of the good ones from Monarch. Most of the current crop of 165s are hitting 2.7+, and even if you get a CCBWE you will probably be able to at least match your old 4400 in terms of overclocking.

I really don't think that is a valid analogy. My first passion is cars- fast cars. I'm 42 years old and I've modified many, many cars in my day. My last toy was a 1999 LS1 M6 Trans Am that ran 12.20 on motor and 11.20 on a 150 shot of N2O.

That said, I think a better analogy for the IHS removal would be removing a heat shield from your car's exhaust. IHS removal doesn't harm anything as long as you make sure that you don't short the resistors on the PCB- electrical tape works great for that.

If I removed an exhaust heat shield and my engine threw a rod, then the dealer said that they were voiding my warranty because the heatshield removal caused the engine to throw the rod, would you still feel that that was a valid use of a warranty exclusion? Because that's what happened to me with this CPU. The manufacturer is voiding the warranty for an unrelated issue. If the CPU had overheated because I didn't attach the waterblock correctly, I would have thrown it in the trash and not even bothered AMD. If I removed an exhaust heatshield and melted my wiring harness I would replace the harness and call it a lesson learned.

The other problem with the car warranty analogy is that federal law says that in order to void the warranty the car manufacturer has to prove that the modification caused the failure. Most people do not know this, and I'm sure that the legal costs to fight a warranty denial would be prohibitive, but the fact remins that the law is there to protect consumers. Semiconductor manufacturers have no such laws to worry about, therefore AMD can tell me to go take a hike and I have no recourse- other thn a personal boycott of their products.

And yes, I realize that AMD is looking at intent. The fact that I removed the IHS means that there is a 99.99% certainty that I am OCing the CPU. They do not warranty OCed CPUs. HOWEVER, you know, I know, and most importantly, THEY know that AMD CPU's are marketed to a crowd that is going to OC them. Hell, they even have a forum that you can link to from the AMD homepage where they discuss all kinds of enthusiast activites. If that's not condoning that kind of activity, I don't know what is. It's real easy for them to then just include all kinds of exclusions so that when the activity that they condone destroys a CPU they don't have to replace it.

My CPU had not been overclocked since about a month after I got this rig up and running. Everything was running at stock because I was trying to figure out a BSOD problem that has plagued this rig since Day 1. I explained all of this to Jesus at AMD, but he didn't care. I told him that Core 0 was always weak and could they please run a failure analysis on the CPU to verify what exactly failed.

Bah, whatever. I knew that by removing the IHS I was voiding my warranty. Nothing else matters; the rest is just me bitching and moaning because I blew 500 bucks. Sorry for the rant...

Back