• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shopping for a reciever, need advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

Ive recently been shopping for a home theatre receiver after my peice of crap kenwood finally gave up the ghost.

I had the idea that given given the whole 7.1 rage, it might be possible to find great deals on used high end 5.1 equipment. My price range is only around $200 - hardly an audiophile budget.

Right now Im thinking something along the lines of this:
(please dont snipe my auctions:( )

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-Pioneer-EL...ryZ39799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I cant find anything on that model, however the new 7.1 vsx59-txi model retails for $2,500 or so. However, it was impossible to find any info on this one. Any info on it?

Besides pioneer elite, what other brands should I look for? The other high end brands like Harmon Kardon, Denon, etc. seem to still be going for quite a bit.

there's a reason why the other brands cost more. they are a step above your average pioneer, sony, jvc.

H/K, denon use better parts inside, with better tolerances and generally higher manufacturing tolerences. chances are, these brands will usually sound better, last longer and provide more punch for the money in terms of overall quality on the sound of your speakers.

sony, pioneer etc, tend to have alot of bells and whistles which tends to take cost away from key components like transformers and usual caps and mosfets.

its like everything else in the consumer world. if your paying less or more. there's usually a reason. be weary of what you buy and research what you can.

if you can't find a review or a anything concerning a particular model. there's probably a reason also.

nealric said:
possible to find great deals on used high end 5.1 equipment. My price range is only around $200 - hardly an audiophile budget.
Many audiofile shops stock used, high end gear at substantial discounts, many sell online too.
For example: http://www.audioconsultants.com/used.html
I have no idea where "under the floorboards" is, but there are audiofile shops everywhere.

sony, pioneer etc, tend to have alot of bells and whistles which tends to take cost away from key components like transformers and usual caps and mosfets.

hmm...
It was my understanding that the pioneer elite models were supposed to be direct competition for the higher end brands.

nealric said:
hmm...
It was my understanding that the pioneer elite models were supposed to be direct competition for the higher end brands.

Somewhat. Pioneer recievers have been hit or miss for the last while.

I would definatly suggest any of my top 4.

Harman Kardon (What I have)
Onkyo
Yamaha
Denon

And for your price point, I would look into either a Yamaha HTR 5830, Onkyo SR503, or Harman Kardon AVR130/AVR135.

I have a Yamaha RX-V750, 7.1 receiver and I love it. Great sound, and lots of features. I used to have a Kenwood, and that thing couldnt even touch this Yamaha. Although, the Yamaha I have is out of your budget, you can still pick up a good deal on a lower model. I think Yamaha is one of the best budget high end receiver manufacturers.

bchur83 said:
I have a Yamaha RX-V750, 7.1 receiver and I love it. Great sound, and lots of features. I used to have a Kenwood, and that thing couldnt even touch this Yamaha. Although, the Yamaha I have is out of your budget, you can still pick up a good deal on a lower model. I think Yamaha is one of the best budget high end receiver manufacturers.

I would have to agree on that one. Considering that I got my HK for pretty much half off, and it still was 250 minus shipping, yamaha is the most affordable in terms of quality and performance :D

I also suggest Harmon Kardon as shard already posted. I've installed a few HK130's for customers, and was very impressed with it.

I myself have owned a Harmon Kardon 325 and love it, although it's out of your price-range obviously - the point is HK makes VERY good recievers from their low, to high end gear in my opinion.

That being said, any 5.1 reciever from HK, Denon, or Onkyo is probably going to be just fine for you.

for that price range.. find yourself the pioneer VSX814 unit. Very good bang for the buck and you get pro-logic IIx capability.

shard said:
And for your price point, I would look into either a Yamaha HTR 5830, Onkyo SR503, or Harman Kardon AVR130/AVR135.
Seconding looking into an Onkyo. I bought a well-maintained used Onkyo TX-SR302 5.1 receiver for ~$100 after hearing good things about it and the refresh 303 here on OCF and I can say with some certainty that it murders any yamaha, pioneer, or sony receiver I've heard in the same price range. I has tons of features (Prologic II, speaker positioning, sub pre-out, digital input) and inputs/outputs for the price as well.

I just ordered a TX-SR503 Onkyo and it sounds great! I got mine refurbed from here.

That looks like a very attractive option.

One question though...
Why do all the high end brands always have far lower power ratings than the consumer brands?

Even the $1000+ recievers from HK still only put out 85 watts, but even the $120 el cheapo from KLH puts out 100.
Is this due to measuring BS on the part of the consumer brand companies, or do the high end brands sacrifice power for sound quality?

One question though...
Why do all the high end brands always have far lower power ratings than the consumer brands?

Even the $1000+ recievers from HK still only put out 85 watts, but even the $120 el cheapo from KLH puts out 100.
Is this due to measuring BS on the part of the consumer brand companies, or do the high end brands sacrifice power for sound quality?

the ratings for the most part are only guidelines for expected output in a given product line. brand to brand power comparisons are virtually impossible less you hooking up a variac and an o-scope and comparing for yourself.

watt ratings really dont tell you anything about an amp aside from what "class" it should be in. its really all about how well it scales in output through the audible range, ie dB "droops" in the curve at given freqs. most cheap amps (sub $500 per 2 channel/stereo amp) do fine in the lower-mid ranges, but the sheer current needed for the lows, and the control needed for the very highs just isnt there. its the reason subs distort, and highs breakup, get harsh and scratchy, muddy and boomy at higer levels.

Last edited:
speaking from the experiance i have from car audio amps, the difference in sound is inaudible (psycoacoustics are an exception :p) between a decent cheap amp like that onkyo that was recommended and that 1000+ HK. but as far as quality, how long it'll last, features, ect. the hk will probably pwn it. it'll probably retain its value too.
my usamps car amps are about 15 years old, have rust on them, but i can still sell them for about their retail price. :D
can't say the same for my 5 year old lanzar amps.. probably have to pay someone just to take it off my hands. :(

HK has been very well renown for showing a modest, but more realistic power output rating, but using a high current amp output to drive the speakers, trust me, you wouldnt know that I am running on 45w per channel with my speakers, they sound terrific!

The speakers will almost always be the weakest link, however I can tell the difference in sound at high output levels between my HK and a generic POS receiver...

HK has always underrated their power specs. I assure you they put out much more than what is listed on the paper. Besides, if you get decent speakers, they will be fairly efficient, and shouldn't need more than 45w real watts to play high levels cleanly anyway.

I'd still go with an HK, or that Onkyo that Nebuchadnazzar posted if you want a decent deal and don't mind buying refurbed. (It still comes with a standard 1 year warranty).

denz_1 said:
H&K is a lil over rated

I would like to know why think HK is overrated when it comes to making recievers. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I'm strictly curious what experience has led you to feel that way?

Go with Yamaha for the best value. If you can afford to pay more, damn well better do it. Right now BB has a sale on the 5930, which is a quality receiver. It also has rca inputs for surround, which is what you will want to use if you connect your computer to it.

I would advise against using optical to connect up to your computer because right now no games support it, you will only get two channels. So make sure you get something with rca inputs for 5.1 surround.

Back