• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I missing something? Core Duo vs. Core2Duo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

I *may* be building a laptop for a family member and just wanted to be sure about something first, considering the last time I really really ordered stuff for a new system was 3-4 years ago with my AMD 1700. :p

Anyway, I know and have read all about the technicalities of how and why the newer Core2Duo Conroes are faster, but my question, is why are the old Yonah CoreDuo's more expensive?

At Newegg a CoreDuo T2300 Yonah at 1.66GHz costs $246.

At Newegg a Core2Duo E6300 Conroe at 1.86GHz costs $203

What's up with that? They are both on the 65nm process so cores per wafer should still be the same, and cost. I am sure the Core2Duo still costs at much. Why are the prices for the old Yonahs still more expensive? Is that because they know at the moment anyone like me who might be building a notebook has to go with the CoreDuo and socket 478?

Does anyone expect the prices for CoreDuo to drop below that of equivilent or better Core2Duos in the near future?

What about the availability of Core2Duo in notebooks?

Thanks a bunch, 0cer. :cool:

Mobile is why. Generally laptop parts cost more. Especially upgrades like cpu's because until recently it was rarely even done. Not many places carry the parts either. Desktop prices will often be much cheaper. There higher production, lower cost more than likely, and harder to charge a premium for.

Well to answer your question about Core 2 Duo for laptops, the Merom should be shipping very soon if it isn't already. Rumor has it that it'll be a direct drop-in replacement for Core Duo, I'm not sure about that.

if the chipset in the laptop supports 667mhz fsb then yes it is a drop in. also though the laptop might require a bios update. The mac mini uses laptop parts and fugger over at xs dropped in a Merom ES into it. Speedy little box now.

Back