• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixing MBR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krogen

I'd like to remove grub along with my Linux partitions and end up with a single Windows XP partition. What would be the easiest way to fix mbr after performing this? Thanks.

after you clean off the linux partitions, put the windows cd in, boot into the recovery console and at the prompt type "fixmbr C:" and that should take care of your problem.

Suicide Al said:
after you clean off the linux partitions, put the windows cd in, boot into the recovery console and at the prompt type "fixmbr C:" and that should take care of your problem.

I beleive what he means is that when you put your WinXP CD in and boot to the recovery console, all you should have to do is type in "fixmbr". I don't think you need the "C:" in there.

And don't "clean" the Linux partitions off your harddisk until you ran fixmbr and made sure the Windows bootloader comes up next time.

First fixmbr, _then_ delete Linux

kraven said:
I beleive what he means is that when you put your WinXP CD in and boot to the recovery console, all you should have to do is type in "fixmbr". I don't think you need the "C:" in there.

With NTFS, your on the correct drive anyway. You are prompted to select your target Windows location prior to getting that far. So the redundant suffix of C: is not needed. It knows where target is.. It prevents possible EBCAK's reducing that part.

When you have multiple installs of Windows over a network. You use the fixmbr [device name]. For a stand alone machine. The simple fixmbr works just fine. :D

Any time I was forced to use the fixmbr. I never had to use any switches. If I was going to log in to another machine via the console to remotly fix it. Sure I would have to select a target device. Otherwise it would not know where to map the new mbr.

XP Pro offers some really groovy functions and features. You happen to find a guide more suited for larger scale operations.

Back