• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free (open source) RAR program?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Is there a open source alternative to winrar fro linux? I'm setting up dvd::rip and it wants the command to create an rar file. So I was searching and I don't see anything but winrar available for linux. I would have though there would have been an open source program.

There is no Free version of rar anywhere. However, why would a program for ripping DVDs need it? there is no .rar data on any DVD

klingens said:
There is no Free version of rar anywhere. However, why would a program for ripping DVDs need it? there is no .rar data on any DVD

Its for "vobsub" compression. I don't know and probably never will use it. Well maybe someday someone will bring an open source version to the table.

In gentoo I just use a program called unrar to handle rar files. If you search googlt for unrar gentoo you will get a couple of links to the source code. I am not at home so I cant get you what the latest version is.

i know that gentoo has both rar and unrar, both basically doing the same thing. I would assume that debian/ubuntu also has rar and unrar in apt.

splat said:
i know that gentoo has both rar and unrar, both basically doing the same thing. I would assume that debian/ubuntu also has rar and unrar in apt.

You're absolutely correct at this point. Debian/ubuntu also has it. I'm not afraid to say that every linux distro has it :santa:

Back