• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm looking for an AMD64 linux that will install onto a 2 GB partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Hi folks, I'm looking for a really slim AMD64 flavor of linux with KDE or Gnome that I can fit onto a 2 GB flash drive. My intention is to install the SMP folding client onto it and run it, if at all possible.

Thanks!

benbaked said:
Hi folks, I'm looking for a really slim AMD64 flavor of linux with KDE or Gnome that I can fit onto a 2 GB flash drive. My intention is to install the SMP folding client onto it and run it, if at all possible.

Thanks!

Xubuntu is good, but it lacks KDE/Gnome. I'm not sure how much space Ubuntu requires, maybe check out Ubunut Lite. Slackware also. CentOS meets your requirements on minimum install.

Last edited:
i can easily fit ubuntu onto a 5gig partition.

but xubuntu is perfect for what your doing.

Thanks guys, I'll give Xubuntu and CentOS a look at when I get home.

I thought you said you wanted KDE or GNOME?

The poster above said Xubuntu had neither (not sure of this myself).

I'd recommend Ubuntu just for their large installed (and very helpful and active), forum/community, and because it has GNOME of course.

Good luck, Ben!

Adak

xubuntu is a nice OS. XFCE is useful and does both KDE and Gnome stuff as wel las being fairly lightweight. I don't see an issue with going with it

Yeah I agree. :)
XFCE is really quite a nice compromise IMHO, and I love the little rat logo, it reminds me of my dog.

just to note, any 64bit distro would be fine, just do a minimal install then only add in the exact packages you want. I am not 100% sure, but I think if you did a stage 3 install of Gentoo and then emerged kde-base, you'd be well under 1gig of usage. You could then go thru and hand pick the apps you need to fill up the rest.

I'm not sure how Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu installs are, but I'd assume they leave you with a fairly large install with tons of extra junk you don't need.

Doh, neither the Ubuntu nor Xubuntu installers would complete. They failed with "insufficient disk space" messages. I've downloaded but not tried CentOS since the very first screen after boot made repeated warnings that it would erase my hard drive. Without having installed CentOS before I don't know if the installer will give me an option to select disks. The initial screen after POST looked alarming, and I don't feel like reinstalling Windows on either of my x64 machines anytime soon. :p

I'll see if I can get Gentoo working, thanks.

Back