• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Like Everyone Else. . . I'm looking for case suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lupus42

Registered
Ok, so just like all the other threads I read in the area, I'm looking for case suggestions. I'm planning to build/upgrade my rig and am looking for suggestions about what cases will fit my needs. Here is what I'm looking for:

Full Tower Case
Fit at least 1 5.25" drive bay (yes, I'm one of those old guys that still has DVD/CD ROM game titles that I still play.)
Fit at least 5 3.5" HDD (preferably room to upgrade for more). I have 4 250 GB 7200 RPM drives in a Raid 0 array and 1 1TB 7200 RPM large storage drive.
Fit at least 2 2.5" SSD (preferably room to upgrade for more). I currently have 1 256 GB SSD and just got another 1TB SSD. I'm considering picking up more 1TB SSD's and setting them up in a RAID 0 or RAID 5.

I don't Water Cool. With the new rig I plan in using the Noctua - NH-D15.

I'm looking for really good case air flow with multiple 120 or 140 mm fans. Honestly, the air flow has been my biggest challenge in locating a quality case.

I'd like to spend no more than about $200 or $250 on the case.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

the first one that comes to mind is the coolermaster haf x but thats only because i have one. it fits the bill but i dont think they make it anymore. if you can find one they are excellent heavyduty air cooling beasts!

it looks like ebay is the only place to get one :( for 2 bills at that!

I was looking for something similar and settled on this one https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=534&area=en for my server. Yeah, it's got radiator space at the top, but you don't have to use it. The drive bays use nice rails and it fits a pair of 140mm intake fans, keeping the drives nice and cool. It's also a bargain for what you get, IMHO.

edit: Found a picture of my setup,

u1Eg1RF.jpg

The drives are super accessible. When one went bad, it took about ten seconds to swap it out. The intake fans are these, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCRF1A highly recommended - they stay quiet but move a ton of air.

Last edited:
Back