• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965 chipset/IHC8R Sata hotswap....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eightballrj

Well, I have seen where Intel claims that it is hotswappable. But, I don't see the drive in the "Safely Remove" options when it is plugged in. I use this drive as my backup drive so corruption is not really an option. The drive is a 500gb Seagate Perp in a Antec MX-1 enclosure with Esata.

My questions are:

1. Is there any way to enable Safe Remove for the ICH8R chipset or has anyone else used it this way?

2. If I disable the drive in the device manager will that turn off the write cache and allow for a safe unplug?

Thanks guys!!

Its not Intel's spec, Hot Swap capability is part of the SATA-II specification across the board. So if Intel "Claims" to be SATA-II, then it should support hot-swapping (or it is just SATA-300 w/o all of the SATA-II features)

I'm in your same boat:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=502463

Still nothing. I am currently having to go into the Add New Hardware to get it to recognize a hot-pugged HD, and then I have to un-insall the HD from the Device Manager to get a clean release...

My ICH7R based P5WD2-Premuim acts better with hot-plugging (it automatically detects the HD), but still generates errors in the Event Log when hot un-plugging the drive (but Windows does not throw up a "Delay Write Failed" error)

I just updated to the newest BIOS, but I have not tried to hot-plug with it yet. I'll try tonight...

:cool:

Back