• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ROG STRIX M2 slot 1 and chipset temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Those of you that have this board, which M2 slot are you using for your SSD and what temps are you getting?

I have mine in slot 1, right above the GPU (ROG STRIX 1080ti). I have the EVO 970 500GB, with the ASUS heatsink and stock thermal pad. CPU has a Corsair H100i v2 cooler so plenty of space for heat to come off M2 slot.

HWiNFO always reads it at 48-54 degrees celcius, browsing, writing this post.

Is this normal? I can't imagine moving it to slot 2 would make a significant difference but that's why I'm here, to ask all of you.

Those of you running this SSD, did you remove the Samsung sticker before putting it under the stock heatsink? I've read that removing the sticker makes no difference and voids warranty?

What chipset temps are you getting? The chipset fan is blocked by the GPU and mine shows at idle 60 degrees celcius.

My ambient temp currently is 28 degrees celcius.

I have the latest BIOS and AMD chipset driver (from AMD, not ASUS)

13-119-111-Z03.jpg

Last edited:
Those of you that have this board, which M2 slot are you using for your SSD and what temps are you getting?
This is going to vary wildly and not a great barometer....

Youy don't remove the sticker, no... at least I never have. Doesn't this void the warranty?

I would try moving it to slot 2 if you are worried... it takes a couple of minutes to swap and normal use to test. :)

This is going to vary wildly and not a great barometer....

Youy don't remove the sticker, no... at least I never have. Doesn't this void the warranty?

I would try moving it to slot 2 if you are worried... it takes a couple of minutes to swap and normal use to test. :)

Couple of minutes? At least 10 :D, remove GPU, chipset fan cover, and heatsinks.

Not worried, just learning about my new components and wanting user feedback.

Yeah I do believe you void warranty on the SSD.

Yes, remove GPU and three screws. That doesn't take me 10 mins... :p

But being serious... try it out and see. I'd GUESS it will run cooler at the bottom slot as heat rises (GPU to M.2) so that is likely adding to the higher temperatures. :)

FWIW, I always use the lowest slot possible or whichever is furthest from a heat source.
If you're concerned at all check temps while writing a large file or use an SSD benchmark like AS SSD/ Crystal disk etc.. which can be set for large R/W activities. If it's going to throttle you should be able to bring that to light.

Just ran AS SSD.

Idle temp was 48 and it went to 58 max during the test. I'll swap positions, next time I need to open the case for something :)

You're well away from throttling, IIRC that's 80-85C

You may just need to increase your case fan rpms. Are any of your other components running unusually hot?

My lower m.2 is about 10c cooler (the top slot running mid 40c temps and the bottom never breaking 30c). A lot of caveats though: top drive is SATA, bottom is PCIe 3.0 but only running PCIe 2.0 on this board. GPU is water cooled so there is some radiated and conducted heat towards the top drive, but no large cooler blasting heat onto the bottom drive. Bottom drive has no heat spreader, top drive has built in motherboard heat spreader. bottom drive has a bunch of intake fans blowing over it, top drive has mostly airflow blocked by the GPU.

Back