• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions regarding P4 Cedar Mill and crappy PC Chips Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muhon_zen

Hi friends. My brother had an IBM Netvista and it burnt (T_T), so we had to use all the stuff in it to make a replacement PC. We were short on budget, so we bought a P4 Cedar Mill (P4 631) 65nm and a crappy PC Chips P23G. We're running there 768MB RAM, one bank is (512) DDR400, samsung, and the other (256) is DDR333 (also samsung). I plan to change the 256 one to a 512 DDR400 to have dual channel (even though the board has for DDR2, but I don't wanna invest that much).

I don't know the mobo very much, and I don't have much experience with intel (I'm AMD:drool: FAN). I use speedfan and I get Temp1 Temp2 and Temp3 on the ISA bus. I'm not sure what those are so I tried guessing. IDLE: Temp1 27ºC, Temp2 31ºC and Temp3 26ºC. Then on load, somehow, Temp3 measures 3ºC then -2ºC then 51ºC so I guess this is somehow WRONG. Temp1 goes way over Temp2 (44ºC) using Orthos. My guess is Temp1 is CPU, but is it normal that CPU in idle is lower in temp than Temp2 (I'm assuming Temp2 as the Case temp). Are my assumptions correct? What would Temp3 be? Chipset?

Also, I'm a newbie at case modding but am willing to drill some stuff :beer:. His case has a plastic tube on the side panel towards the CPU HSF. The sidepanel side has holes so that air is pulled in by the HSF. Is this a good idea? or should I install an, for instance, 80mm FAN intake on the side panel?. Should I leave that AND install an 80mm FAN lower to blow to the nVidia Card (which btw is a GeForce MX4000 with no fan, only passive heatsink).

Finally, what are your opinions on the pc chips? Are my temps ok? Is there any possibility to overclock the system? Is it worth it? We like playing MMORPG games like Ragnarok Online or Lineage II. L2 requires 3d stuff, but I don't know if it requires a LOT of 3D resources (when I turn on Anti-Aliasing though, comp goes slow like hell).

One temp is CPU, one is system, and one is PWM, but I don't know which is which. PC Chips motherboards are low budget. I don't think they overclock, but you might try using a program called softFSB. Do a google search, it should be a free download.

The side duct (tube) is a good thing. It helps draw fresh air to the CPU. If you can add a 80mm fan between the tube and the side panel to help blow air in, that will help with cooling.

You will probably have to leave AA off when gaming with that old video card.

Back